Network Coding as a WiMAX Link Reliability Mechanism
We design and implement a network-coding-enabled reliability architecture for next generation wireless networks. Our network coding (NC) architecture uses a flexible thread-based design, with each encoder-decoder instance applying systematic intra-session random linear network coding as a packet erasure code at the IP layer. Using GENI WiMAX platforms, a series of point-to-point transmission experiments were conducted to compare the performance of the NC architecture to that of the Automatic Repeated reQuest (ARQ) and Hybrid ARQ (HARQ) mechanisms. In our scenarios, the proposed architecture is able to decrease packet loss from around 11-32% to nearly 0%; compared to HARQ and joint HARQ/ARQ mechanisms, the NC architecture offers up to 5.9 times gain in throughput and 5.5 times reduction in end-to-end file transfer delay. By establishing NC as a potential substitute for HARQ/ARQ, our experiments offer important insights into cross-layer designs of next generation wireless networks.
KeywordsARQ GENI HARQ Network Coding WiMAX
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Jakubczak, S., Rahul, H., Katabi, D.: One-size-fits-all wireless video. ACM SIGCOMM HotNets (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Teerapittayanon, S., Fouli, K., Médard, M., Montpetit, M.J., Shi, X., Seskar, I., Gosain, A.: Network coding as a WiMAX link reliability mechanism. Arxiv (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Jin, J., Li, B., Kong, T.: Is random network coding helpful in WiMAX? In: INFOCOM 2008, pp. 2162–2170 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Jin, J., Li, B.: Adaptive random network coding in WiMAX. In: ICC 2008, pp. 2576–2580 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Yazdi, A., Sorour, S., Valaee, S., Kim, R.: Optimum network coding for delay sensitive applications in WiMAX unicast. In: INFOCOM 2009, pp. 2576–2580 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.The netfilter.org project, http://www.netfilter.org
- 13.Global Environment for Network Innovations (GENI), http://www.geni.org
- 14.Andrews, J., Ghosh, A., Muhamed, R.: Fundamentals of WiMAX: understanding broadband wireless networking. Prentice Hall (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Bush, D.: UFTP, http://www.tcnj.edu/~bush/uftp.html
- 17.Teerapittayanon, S.: Performance enhancements in next generation wireless networks using network coding: A case study in WiMAX. Master’s thesis, MIT (2012)Google Scholar