Enhancing the Computation of Distributed Shortest Paths on Real Dynamic Networks
The problem of finding and updating shortest paths in distributed networks is considered crucial in today’s practical applications. In the recent past, there has been a renewed interest in devising new efficient distance-vector algorithms as an attractive alternative to link-state solutions for large-scale Ethernet networks. In this paper we present Distributed Computation Pruning (DCP), a new technique, which can be combined with every distance-vector algorithm based on shortest paths, allowing to reduce the total number of messages sent by that algorithm and its space occupancy per node. To check its effectiveness, we combined DCP with DUAL (Diffuse Update ALgorithm), one of the most popular distance-vector algorithm in the literature, and with the recently introduced LFR (Loop Free Routing) which has been shown to have good performances on real networks. We give experimental evidence that these combinations lead to a significant gain both in terms of number of messages sent and memory requirements per node.
KeywordsShort Path Central Node Generic Node Open Short Path First Space Occupancy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bertsekas, D., Gallager, R.: Data Networks. Prentice Hall International (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Cicerone, S., D’Angelo, G., Di Stefano, G., Frigioni, D., Maurizio, V.: Engineering a new algorithm for distributed shortest paths on dynamic networks. Algorithmica (to appear, 2012), doi: 10.1007/s00453-012-9623-9Google Scholar
- 10.Hyun, Y., Huffaker, B., Andersen, D., Aben, E., Shannon, C., Luckie, M., Claffy, K.: The CAIDA IPv4 routed/24 topology dataset, http://www.caida.org/data/active/ipv4_routed_24_topology_dataset.xml
- 11.Moy, J.T.: OSPF: Anatomy of an Internet routing protocol. Addison-Wesley (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Myers, A., Ng, E., Zhang, H.: Rethinking the service model: Scaling ethernet to a million nodes. In: ACM SIGCOMM HotNets. ACM Press (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.OMNeT++. Discrete event simulation environment, http://www.omnetpp.org
- 16.Zhao, C., Liu, Y., Liu, K.: A more efficient diffusing update algorithm for loop-free routing. In: 5th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCom 2009), pp. 1–4. IEEE Press (2009)Google Scholar