Colorization for Gray Scale Facial Image by Locality-Constrained Linear Coding
Colorization for gray scale facial image is an important technique in various practical applications. However, the methods that have been proposed are essentially semi-automatic. In this paper, we present a new probabilistic framework based on Maximum A Posteriori (MAP) estimation to automatically transform the given gray scale facial image to corresponding color one. Firstly, the input image is divided into several patches and non-parametric Markov random field (MRF) is employed to formulate the global energy. Secondly, Locality-constrained Linear Coding (LLC) is employed to learn the color distribution for each patch. At the same time, the simulated annealing algorithm is employed to iteratively update the patches chosen by LLC to optimize the MRF by decreasing global energy cost. The experimental results demonstrate that the proposed framework is effective to colorize the gray scale facial images to corresponding color ones.
KeywordsColorization MAP MRF LLC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Kekre, H.B., Thepade, S.D.: Color Traits Transfer to Grayscale Images. In: Proc. of IEEE First International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Technology, pp. 82–85 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Horiuchi, T., Hirano, S.: Colorization algorithm for grayscale image by propagating seed pixels. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, vol. 1, pp. 457–460 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Bala, R., Eschbach, R.: Spatial Color-to-Grayscale Transform Preserving Chrominance Edge Information. In: 14th Color Imaging Conference: Color, Science, Systems and Applications, pp. 82–86 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Yu, K., Zhang, T., Gong, Y.: Nonlinear Learning using Local Coordinate Coding. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, vol. 22, pp. 2223–2231 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Lee, H., Battle, A., Raina, R., Ng, A.: Efficient sparse coding algorithms. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, vol. 19, p. 801 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, J., Yang, J., Yu, K., Lv, F., Huang, T., Gong, Y.: Locality-constrained Linear Coding for Image Classification. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), p. 3306 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Efros, A.A., Leung, T.K.: Texture Synthesis by Non-parametric Sampling. In: Proceedings of the Seventh IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 2, p. 1033 (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Farkas, L.G.: Anthropometry of the Head and Face. Raven Press, Hewlett (1994)Google Scholar
- 15.Fortune, S.: Numerical Stability of Algorithms for 2D Delaunay Triangulations. In: Proceedings of the Eighth Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry, vol. 1(2), pp. 192–213 (1992)Google Scholar