Real-Time Macroblock Level Bits Allocation for Depth Maps in 3-D Video Coding
In the texture-plus-depth 3-D video format, the texture videos and depth maps will affect the quality of the synthesized views, this makes bits allocation for the depth maps indispensable. The existing bits allocation approaches are either inaccurate or requiring pre-encoding and analyzing in temporal dimension, making them unsuitable for the real-time applications. Motivated by the fact that different regions of the depth maps have different impacts on the synthesized image quality, a real-time macroblock level bits allocation approach is proposed, where different macroblocks of the depth maps are encoded with different quantization parameters and coding modes. As the bits allocation granularity is fine, the R-D performance of the proposed approach outperforms other bits allocation approaches significantly, while no additional pre-encoding delay is caused. Specifically, it can save more than 10% overall bit rate comparing with Morvan’s full search approach, while maintaining the same synthesized view quality.
Keywords3-D video coding bits allocation macroblock level real-time R-D optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Fehn, C.: Depth-image-based rendering (DIBR), compression and transmission for a new approach on 3-D-TV. In: Proc. SPIE, Stereoscopic Image Process. Render., vol. 5291, pp. 93–104 (January 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Morvan, Y., Farin, D., de With, P.H.N.: Joint depth/texture bit-allocation for multi-view video compression. In: Picture Coding Symposium (PCS), pp. 265–268 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, Q., Ji, X., Dai, Q., Zhang, N.: Free Viewpoint Video Coding with Rate-Distortion Analysis. Accpeted in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- 7.HHI Fraunhofer Institute, H.264/AVC Reference Software, http://iphome.hhi.de/suehring/tml/download/
- 8.MPEG-3-DV View Synthesis Reference Software, http://wg11.sc29.org/svn/repos/MPEG-4/test/trunk/3D/view.synthesis