Aimbot Detection in Online FPS Games Using a Heuristic Method Based on Distribution Comparison Matrix
Online gaming is very popular and has gained some recognition as the so called e-sport over the last decade. However, in particular First Person Shooter (FPS) games suffer from the development of sophisticated cheating methods such as aiming robots (aimbot), which can boost the players ability to acquire and track targets by the illicit use of internal game states. This not only gives an obvious unfair advantage to the cheater, but has negative impact on the gaming experience of honest players.
In this paper we present a novel supervised method based on distribution comparison matrices that shows very promising performance in the identification of players that use such aimbots. It extends our previous work in which two features were identified and shown to have good predictive performance. The proposed method is further compared with other classification techniques such as Support Vector Machines (SVM). Overall we achieve true positive and true negatives rates well above 98% with low computational requirements.
KeywordsCheating Detection Distribution Comparison Computational Intelligence Computer Games Game Bots First Person Shooters
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chen, K.T., Pao, H.K.K., Chang, H.C.: Game bot identification based on manifold learning. In: Proceedings of the 7th ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Network and System Support for Games, pp. 21–26 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Gianvecchio, S., Xie, M., Wu, Z., Wang, H.: Battle of Botcraft: fighting bots in online games with human observational proofs. In: Proceedings of the 16th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, pp. 256–268 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Van Oortmerssen, W.: Cube (2005), http://www.cubeengine.com
- 6.Yan, J.: Bot, Cyborg and Automated Turing Test. In: Security Protocols Workshop, pp. 190–197 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Yeung, S.F., Lui, J.C.S., Liu, J., Yan, J.: Detecting cheaters for multiplayer games: theory, design and implementation. In: Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, pp. 1178–1182 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Yu, S.-Y., Hammerla, N.Y., Yan, J., Andras, P.: A statistical aimbot detection method for online FPS games. In: The Preceedings of International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (2012)Google Scholar