Managing Qualitative Preferences with Constraints
Preferences and Constraints co-exist naturally in different domains. Thus, handling both of them is of great interest for many real applications. Preferences usually expressed in qualitative format where a constraint satisfaction problem (CSP) is a well known formalism to handle constraints. In this paper, we investigate the problem of managing both qualitative user preferences and system requirements. We model our preference part as an instance of Conditional Preference networks (CP-nets) and the constraints as CSP. We propose a new method to handle both aspects in an efficient manner. Our method is based on the well-known Arc Consistency (AC) propagation technique. The experiments demonstrate that the new approach can save a substantial amount of time for finding the optimal solution for given preferences and constraints.
KeywordsConstraint Satisfaction Problem Hard Constraint Partial Assignment Conditional Preference Constraint Satisfaction Problem Instance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Rossi, F., Venable, K.B., Walsh, T.: Preferences in constraint satisfaction and optimization. AI Magazine 29, 58–68 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Kumar, V.: Algorithms for constraint satisfaction problems: A survey. AI Magazine 13, 32–44 (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Dechter, R.: Constraint processing. Elsevier Morgan Kaufmann (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Prestwich, S., Rossi, F., Venable, K.B., Walsh, T.: Constrained cpnets. In: Faltings, B.V., Petcu, A., Fages, F., Rossi, F. (eds.) CSCLP 2004. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 3419, Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Domshlak, C., Rossi, F., Venable, K.B., Walsh, T.: Reasoning about soft constraints and conditional preferences: complexity results and approximation techniques. CoRR abs/0905 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Brafman, R.I., Dimopoulos, Y.: A new look at the semantics and optimization methods of cp-networks. In: IJCAI, pp. 1033–1038 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Alanazi, E., Mouhoub, M.: Arc consistency for cp-nets under constraints. In: FLAIRS Conference (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Beek, P.V., Dechter, R.: Constraint tightness and looseness versus local and global consistency. Journal of the ACM 44 (1997)Google Scholar