Energy-Efficient Virtual Machine Placement in Data Centers by Genetic Algorithm
Server consolidation using virtualization technology has become an important technology to improve the energy efficiency of data centers. Virtual machine placement is the key in the server consolidation. In the past few years, many approaches to the virtual machine placement have been proposed. However, existing virtual machine placement approaches to the virtual machine placement problem consider the energy consumption by physical machines in a data center only, but do not consider the energy consumption in communication network in the data center. However, the energy consumption in the communication network in a data center is not trivial, and therefore should be considered in the virtual machine placement in order to make the data center more energy-efficient. In this paper, we propose a genetic algorithm for a new virtual machine placement problem that considers the energy consumption in both the servers and the communication network in the data center. Experimental results show that the genetic algorithm performs well when tackling test problems of different kinds, and scales up well when the problem size increases.
KeywordsVirtual machine placement Server consolidation Data center Cloud computing Genetic algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Meng, X., Pappas, V., Zhang, L.: Improving the Scalability of Data Center Networks with Traffic-aware Virtual Machine Placement. In: Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications, pp. 1–9 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Goldberg, D.E.: Genetic Algorithms in Search Optimization and Machine Learning. Addison Wesley (1989)Google Scholar
- 4.Benson, T., Akella, A., Maltz, D.A.: Network Traffic Characteristics of Data Centers in the Wild. In: Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on Internet Measurement, pp. 267–280 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Mahadevan, P., Sharma, P., Banerjee, S., Ranganathan, P.: Energy Aware Network Operations. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), pp. 25–30 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Xu, J., Fortes, J.A.B.: Multi-objective Virtual Machine Placement in Virtualized Data Center Environments. In: Proceeding of IEEE/ACM International Conference on Green Computing and Communications, pp. 179–188 (2010)Google Scholar