Extended Mind: Is There Anything at All to Be Externalised?
The paper discusses Clark’s conception of extended mind and critically analyses his four criterions of externalised cognitive functions. Language as one of the most important means of externalisation is presented on the basis of Engelbart’s conception of human enhancement. Clark’s view of human-technology coupling is also strongly related to language which is regarded as a form of mind-transforming cognitive scaffolding. The material nature of language (as stressed by Clark in the domain of bodily gestures) is crucial for expression of mental concepts. This supports the belief that human cognitive enhancement is possible via technical means (e.g. AI-based speech prosthesis). However, from the philosophical point of view, even the categories of externality and internality of cognitive processes are very tricky.
KeywordsParity Principle Automatic Speech Recognition External Cognitive Process Human Enhancement Extend Mind
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Engelbart, D.C.: Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptional Framework. Prepared for: Director of Information Sciences Air force Office of Scientific Research, Washington (1962)Google Scholar
- 2.Licklider, J.C.R.: Man-Computer Symbiosis. In: Taylor, R.W. (ed.) In Memoriam: J.C.R. Licklider: 1915-1990. Digital Systems Research Center Reports 61, Palo Alto, CA (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Varela, F.J., Thompson, E., Rosch, E.: The Embodied Mind. MIT Press, Cambridge (1991)Google Scholar
- 5.Clark, A.: Supersizing the Mind: Embodiment, Action, and Cognitive Extension. Oxford University Press, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.McLuhan, M.: Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man, 1st edn. McGraw Hill, New York (1994); reissued by MIT PressGoogle Scholar
- 7.Gazzaniga, M.: The Social Brain. Basic Books, New York (1985)Google Scholar
- 9.Romportl, J.: On the Objectivity of Prosodic Phrases. In: The Phonetician, vol. 96, pp. 7–19. The International Society of Phonetic Sciences (2010)Google Scholar