Computing 2D Robot Workspace in Parallel with CUDA
Workspace analysis is one of the most essential problems in robotics, but also has the possibility of being very tricky in complex cases. As the number of degrees of freedom increases, the complexity of the problem grows exponentially in some solutions. One possibility is to develop solutions which approximate the workspace for speedup, but this paper explores the possibility of using graphical processing units to parallelize and speed up a forward kinematics-based solution. Particular real-time applications are discussed. It presents a formal analysis of a simple 2D problem, a solution, and the results of an experiment using the solution.
KeywordsGraphical Processing Unit Shared Memory Collision Detection Kinematic Chain Parallel Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Anderson-Sprecher, P., Simmons, R.: Voxel-based motion bouunding and workspace estimation for robot manipulators. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 2141–2146 (May 2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Cao, Y., Lu, K., Li, X., Zang, Y.: Accurate numerical methods for computing 2d and 3d robot workspace. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems 8(6) (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Craig, J.J.: Manipulator kinematics. In: Introduction to Robotics: Mechanics and Control, 2nd edn., pp. 69–112. Addison Wesley Longman (1955)Google Scholar
- 6.Goyal, K., Sethi, D.: An analytical method to find workspace of a robotic manipulator. Journal of Mechanical Engineering 41(1) (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Kessens, C., Smith, D., Osteen, P.: Autonomous self-righting of a generic robot on sloped planar surfaces. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 4724–4729 (May 2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Podlozhnyuk, V.: Parallel mersenne twister. Technical report, nVidia (June 2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Weisstein, E.: Circle-line intersection. From MathWorld–A Wolfram Web Resource, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/circle-lineintersection.html (accessed April 27, 2012)