Thesaurus Project: Design of New Autonomous Underwater Vehicles for Documentation and Protection of Underwater Archaeological Sites
The Thesaurus Project, funded by the Regione Toscana, combines humanistic and technological research aiming at developing a new generation of cooperating Autonomous Underwater Vehicles and at documenting ancient and modern Tuscany shipwrecks. Technological research will allow performing an archaeological exploration mission through the use of a swarm of autonomous, smart and self-organizing underwater vehicles. Using acoustic communications, these vehicles will be able to exchange each other data related to the state of the exploration and then to adapt their behavior to improve the survey. The archival research and archaeological survey aim at collecting all reports related to the underwater evidences and the events of sinking occurred in the sea of Tuscany. The collected data will be organized in a specific database suitably modeled.
KeywordsAutonomous Underwater Vehicles Robot Cooperation Tuscany Wrecks Etruscan Roman Medieval Modern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allotta, B., Pugi, L., Costanzi, R., Vettori, G.: Localization algorithm for a fleet of three AUVs by INS, DVL and Range measurements. In: The 15th Int. Conf. on Adv. Robotics, Tallinn, June 20-23 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Alvarez, A., Bertram, V., Gualdesi, L.: Hull hydrodynamic optimization of autonomous underwater vehicles operating at snorkeling depth. Journal of Ocean Engineering, doi:10.1016/j.oceaneng.2008.08.006Google Scholar
- 3.Yu, X., Su, Y.: Hydrodynamic performance calculation on mini-automatic underwater vehicle. In: Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation, Harbin, China, June 20-23 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Ostafichuck, P.M.: AUV Hydrodynamics and modelling for improved control. PhD Thesis at University of British Coulombia (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Free Informations available on the web on the site, http://www.lipobattery.it
- 7.Ehsani, M., Gao, Y., Emadi, A.: Modern Electric, Hybrid Electric, and Fuel Cell Vehicles: Fundamentals, Theory, and Design. CRC Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Szeliski, R.: Computer Vision – Algorithms and Applications. Springer (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Klein, G., Murray, D.: Parallel tracking and mapping for small AR workspaces. In: Proceedings of the 6th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, ISMAR 2007 (2007)Google Scholar