Digitization of Cypriot Folk Dances
- 5.2k Downloads
In this article an initiative to preserve the Cypriot folk dance heritage is reported. The project aims to create a publicly accessible digital archive of folk dances that does not only include video recordings, commonly used to document dance performances. In addition to rare video material held by local cultural institutions, state-of-the-art motion capture technologies are utilized to record and archive high quality motion data of expert dancers performing these traditional dances. Apart from the goal of preserving this intangible cultural heritage by digitizing it, the project is interested in increasing the awareness of the local community to its dance heritage. To achieve this a 3D video game for children is developed to teach these folk dances to the younger generations.
Keywordsdigitization folk dances motion capture educational games
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Smigel, L.: Documentating Dance - A Practical Guide. Dance Heritage Coalition (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, E.S.: ChoreoSave: A Digital Dance Preservation System Prototype. Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 48, 1–10 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Kovar, L., Gleicher, M., Pighin, F.: Motion Graphs. In: Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, pp. 473–482. ACM Press, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Qian, G., Guo, F., Ingalls, T., Olson, L., James, J., Rikakis, T.: A Gesture-Driven Multimodal Interactive Dance System. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, ICME 2004, vol. 3, pp. 1579–1582 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Charbonneau, E., Miller, A., LaViola Jr., J.J.: Teach Me to Dance: Exploring Player Experience and Performance in Full Body Dance Games. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology, pp. 43:1–43:8. ACM Press, New York (2011)Google Scholar