An Evolutionary Based Clustering Algorithm Applied to Dada Compression for Industrial Systems
In this paper, in order to address the well-known ‘sensitivity’ problems associated with K-means clustering, a real-coded Genetic Algorithms (GA) is incorporated into K-means clustering. The result of the hybridisation is an enhanced search algorithm obtained by incorporating the local search capability rendered by the hill-climbing optimisation with the global search ability provided by GAs. The proposed algorithm has been compared with other clustering algorithms under the same category using an artificial data set and a benchmark problem. Results show, in all cases, that the proposed algorithm outperforms its counterparts in terms of global search capability. Moreover, the scalability of the proposed algorithm to high-dimensional problems featuring a large number of data points has been validated using an application to compress field data sets from sub-15MW industry gas turbines, during commissioning. Such compressed field data is expected to result in more efficient and more accurate sensor fault detection.
Keywordshybridised clustering algorithm genetic algorithms K-means algorithms data compression sensor fault detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bezdek, J.C., Hathaway, R.J.: Optimization of Fuzzy Clustering Criteria Using Genetic Algorithms. In: The 1st IEEE Conference on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 2(2), pp. 589–594 (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, J.: Biologically Inspired Optimisation Algorithms for Transparent Knowledge Extraction Allied to Engineering Materials Processing. PhD. Thesis, University of Sheffield (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Deb, K., Anand, A., Joshi, D.: A Computationally Efficient Evolutionary Algorithm for Real-Parameter Optimization. In: Evolutionary Computation, vol. 10 (4), pp. 371–395. MIT Press (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Fisher, R.A.: The Use of Multiple Measurements in Taxonomic Problems. Ann. Eugen. 7(2), 179–188 (1936)Google Scholar
- 10.Chiu, S.L.: Fuzzy Model Identification Based on Cluster Estimation. J. of Intelligent & Fuzzy Systems 2(3) (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang, Y., Bingham, C.M., Yang, Z., Gallimore, M., Ling, W.K.: Sensor Fault Detection for Industrial Gas Turbine System by Using Principal Component Analysis Based Y-distance Indexes. In: Proceeding on 8th IEEE, IET International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing (2012)Google Scholar