Towards Advanced Goal Model Analysis with jUCMNav
Goal modeling is an important part of various types of activities such as requirements engineering, business management, and compliance assessment. The Goal-oriented Requirement Language is a standard and mature goal modeling language supported by the jUCMNav tool. However, recent applications of GRL to a regulatory context highlighted several analysis issues and limitations whose resolutions are urgent, and also likely applicable to other languages and tools. This paper investigates issues related to the computation of strategy and model differences, the management of complexity and uncertainty, sensitivity analysis, and various domain-specific considerations. For each, a solution is proposed, implemented in jUCMNav, and illustrated through simple examples. These solutions greatly increase the analysis capabilities of GRL and jUCMNav in order to handle real problems.
KeywordsAnalysis Goal-oriented Requirement Language jUCMNav strategies tool support User Requirements Notation visualization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Amyot, D., Mussbacher, G.: User Requirements Notation: The First Ten Years, The Next Ten Years. Journal of Software (JSW) 6(5), 747–768 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Amyot, D., Mussbacher, G., Ghanavati, S., Kealey, J.: GRL Modeling and Analysis with jUCMNav. In: 5th Int. i* Workshop (iStar 2011), Trento, Italy. CEUR-WS, vol. 766, pp. 160–162 (August 2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Eclipse Foundation: EMF Compare (2012), http://www.eclipse.org/emf/compare/
- 5.International Telecommunication Union: Recommendation Z.151 (11/08), User Requirements Notation (URN) – Language definition (2008), http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-Z.151/en
- 6.jUCMNav, Version 5.1.0, University of Ottawa, http://softwareengineering.ca/jucmnav
- 7.Mussbacher, G., Amyot, D., Heymans, P.: Eight Deadly Sins of GRL. In: 5th Int. i* Workshop (iStar 2011), Trento, Italy. CEUR-WS, vol. 766, pp. 2–7 (August 2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Tawhid, R., Alhaj, M., Mussbacher, G., Braun, E., Cartwright, N., Shamsaei, A., Amyot, D., Behnam, S.A., Richards, G.: Towards Outcome-Based Regulatory Compliance in Aviation Security. In: Requirements Engineering (RE 2012). IEEE CS, USA (to apppear, 2012)Google Scholar