Statistical Shape Analysis for Population Studies via Level-Set Based Shape Morphing
We present a method that allows the detection, localization and quantification of statistically significant morphological differences in complex brain structures between populations. This is accomplished by a novel level-set framework for shape morphing and a multi-shape dissimilarity-measure derived by a modified version of the Hausdorff distance. The proposed method does not require explicit one-to-one point correspondences and is fast, robust and easy to implement regardless of the topological complexity of the anatomical surface under study.
The proposed model has been applied to different populations using a variety of brain structures including left and right striatum, caudate, amygdala-hippocampal complex and superior- temporal gyrus (STG) in normal controls and patients. The synthetic databases allow quantitative evaluations of the proposed algorithm while the results obtained for the real clinical data are in line with published findings on gray matter reduction in the tested cortical and sub-cortical structures in schizophrenia patients.
KeywordsCaudate Nucleus Schizophrenia Patient Signed Distance Function Medical Image Analysis Schizotypal Personality Disorder
- 5.Styner, M., Lieberman, J., Pantazis, D., Gerig, G.: Boundary and medial shape analysis of the hippocampus in schizophrenia. Medical Image Analysis, 197–203 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Yushkevich, P.A., Zhang, H., Gee, J.C.: Continuous medial representation for anatomical structures. Medical Image Analysis 25, 1547–1564 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Niethammer, M., Reuter, M., Wolter, F.-E., Bouix, S., Peinecke, N., Koo, M.-S., Shenton, M.E.: Global Medical Shape Analysis Using the Laplace-Beltrami Spectrum. In: Ayache, N., Ourselin, S., Maeder, A. (eds.) MICCAI 2007, Part I. LNCS, vol. 4791, pp. 850–857. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Dubuisson, M., Jain, A.: A modified hausdorff distance for object matching. In: ICPR, vol. 1, pp. 566–568 (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Charpiat, G., Faugeras, O., Keriven, R., Maurel, P.: Statistics and Analysis of Shapes: Approximations of Shape Metrics and Application to Shape Warping and Empirical Shape Statistics. Krim, H., Yezzi Jr., A. (eds.) (2006)Google Scholar
- 22.Gao, Y., Bouix, S.: Synthesis of realistic subcortical anatomy with known surface deformations. In: MICCAI Workshop on Mesh Processing in Medical Image Analysis (October 2012)Google Scholar
- 23.Hirayasu, Y., et al.: Lower left temporal lobe MRI volumes in patients with first-episode schizophrenia compared with psychotic patients with first-episode affective disorder and normal subjects. Amer. J. Psychiatry 155, 1384–1391 (1998)Google Scholar