Responsible Research and Innovation in Industry: From Ethical Acceptability to Social Desirability
The purpose of this chapter is to provide a synthesis of the current body of knowledge on Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) as an emerging paradigm and a novel approach to governing science and innovation with the aim of making them ethically acceptable and socially desirable. The text focuses on RRI relevance not only as a new framework for research and innovation policy but also as a novel expression of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in enterprises engaged in technological innovation. Theoretical and practical issues concerning the link between RRI and CSR are studied. Additionally, an approach based on Future-Oriented Technology Assessment is proposed as a practical mechanism of advancing RRI in an enterprise or a whole sector.
KeywordsResponsible research and innovation Corporate social responsibility Technology assessment Industry
- Arnaldi, S., Gorgoni, G., & Pariotti, E. (2016). RRI as a governance paradigm: What is new? In R. Lindner, S. Kuhlmann, S. Randles, B. Bedsted, G. Gorgoni, E. Griessler, A. Loconto, & N. Mejlgaard (Eds.), Navigating towards shared responsibility in research and innovation approach, process and results of the Res-AGorA Project (pp. 23–29). Res-AGorA: Karlsruhe.Google Scholar
- Beck, U. (1995). Ecological politics in an age of risk. Cambridge, UK: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Blok, V., & Lemmens, P. (2015). The emerging concept of responsible innovation. three reasons why it is questionable and calls for a radical transformation of the concept of innovation. In B. J. Koops, I. Oosterlaken, H. Romijn, T. Swierstra, & J. van den Hoven (Eds.), Responsible innovation 2: Concepts, approaches, and applications (pp. 19–35). Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Chesborough, H. (2003). Open innovation: The new imperative for creating and profiting from technology. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business School Publishing Corporation.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2011). DG research workshop on responsible research & innovation in Europe, Brussels, 16–17 May 2011. http://ec.europa.eu/research/science-society/document_library/pdf_06/responsible-research-and-innovation-workshop-newsletter_en.pdf.
- European Parliament. (2013). Regulation (EU) No 1291/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 December 2013 establishing Horizon 2020—The Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (2014–2020) and re-pealing Decision No. 1982/2006/EC.Google Scholar
- European Science Foundation. (2013). Science in society: Caring for our futures in turbulent times. Science Policy Briefing No. 50. http://archives.esf.org/fileadmin/Public_documents/Publications/spb50_ScienceInSociety.pdf.
- Geoghegan-Quinn, M. A. (2012). Keynote speech at the “Science in Dialogue” Conference. Odense, 23–25 April 2012. http://ec.europa.eu/archives/commission_2010-2014/geoghegan-quinn/headlines/speeches/2012/documents/20120423-dialogue-conference-speech_en.pdf.
- Grunwald, A. (2011). Responsible innovation: Bringing together technology assessment, applied ethics, and STS research. Enterprise and Work Innovation Studies, 7, 9–31. www.itas.kit.edu/pub/v/2011/grun11c.pdf.
- Grunwald, A. (2014). Technology assessment for responsible innovation. In J. van den Hoven, N. Doorn, T. Swierstra, B. J. Koops, & H. Romijn (Eds.), Responsible innovation 1: Innovative solutions for global issues (pp. 15–32). Sringer: Cham.Google Scholar
- Hardeman, S. (2015). Discussion with J. Stigloe’s “Against Excellence” talk. Joint Research Centre. https://youtu.be/xDxOvKfr9MY?t=44m56s.
- Iatridis, K., & Schroeder, D. (2016). Responsible research and innovation in industry: The case for corporate responsibility tools. Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Kononiuk, A., & Nazarko, J. (2014). Scenariusze w antycypowaniu i kształtowaniu przyszłości. Warsaw: Wolters Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Koops, B. J. (2015). The concepts, approaches, and applications of responsible innovation. In B. J. Koops, I. Oosterlaken, H. Romijn, T. Swierstra, & J. van den Hoven (Eds.), Responsible innovation 2: Concepts, approaches, and applications (pp. 1–15). Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Lund Declaration. (2009). Conference: New worlds—New solutions. Research and Innovation as a Basis for Developing Europe in a Global Context, Lund, Sweden, 7–8 July, https://era.gv.at/object/document/130/attach/1lund_declaration_final_version_9_july.pdf.
- Nazarko, L. (2014). Inteligentne specjalizacje polskich regionów – przyczynek do ewaluacji. Przedsiębiorczość i Zarządzanie, 15(8/1), 247–262.Google Scholar
- Nazarko, L. (2016). Responsible research and innovation—A new paradigm of technology management. In: 9th International Scientific Conference “Business and Management 2016”, 12–13 May, Vilnius, Lithuania.Google Scholar
- Responsible Industry. (2017). Responsible industry: Guide for the implementation of Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) in the industrial context. www.responsible-industry.eu.
- Stahl, B. (2018). RRI in industry: On the translation of the RRI discourse into the private domain. Orbit Journal, 1(3).Google Scholar
- Tancoigne, E., Randles, S., & Joly, P.-B. (2016). Evolution of a concept: A scientometric analysis of RRI. In R. Indner, S. Kuhlmann, S. Randles, B. Bedsted, G. Gorgoni, E. Griessler, A. Loconto, & N. Mejlgaard (Eds.), Navigating Towards Shared Responsibility in Research and Innovation Approach, Process and Results of the Res-AGorA Project (pp. 39–44). Karlsruhe: Res-AGorA.Google Scholar
- van de Poel, I., Asveld, L., Flipse, S., Klaassen, P., Scholten, V., & Yaghmaei, E. (2017). Company strategies for Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI): A conceptual model. Sustainability, 9(11), 2045.Google Scholar
- von Schomberg, R. (2012). Prospects for technology assessment in a framework of responsible research and innovation. In M. Dusseldorp, R. Beecroft (Eds.), Technikfolgen abschätzen lehren (pp. 39–61). Wiesbaden: VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften.Google Scholar
- von Schomberg, R. (2013). A vision of responsible research and innovation. In R. Owen, J. Bessant, & M. Heintz (Eds.), Responsible innovation: Managing the responsible emergence of science and innovation in society (pp. 51–74). London: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Wachowiak, P. (2013). The process of social reporting—An original model. Organization and Management, 154(1), 123–141.Google Scholar