Formally Defining and Iterating Infinite Models
The wide adoption of MDE raises new situations where we need to manipulate very large models or even infinite model streams gathered at runtime (e.g., monitoring). These new uses cases for MDE raise challenges that had been unforeseen by the time standard modeling framework were designed. This paper proposes a formal definition of an infinite model, as well as a formal framework to reason on queries over infinite models. This formal query definition aims at supporting the design and verification of operations that manipulate infinite models. First, we precisely identify the MOF parts which must be refined to support infinite structure. Then, we provide a formal coinductive definition dealing with unbounded and potentially infinite graph-based structure.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Steinberg, D., Budinsky, F., Paternostro, M., Merks, E.: EMF: Eclipse Modeling Framework, 2nd edn. Addison-Wesley (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Object Management Group, Inc.: Meta Object Facility (MOF) 2.4.1 Core Specification. Final Adopted Specification (August 2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Object Management Group, Inc.: Unified Modeling Language (UML) 2.4.1 Infrastructure. Final Adopted Specification (August 2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Object Management Group, Inc.: Object Constraint Language (OCL) 2.3.1 Specification (January 2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Henderson, P., James, H., Morris, J.: A Lazy Evaluator. In: 3rd ACM Symposium on Principles on Programming Languages (POPL), pp. 95–103. ACM (1976)Google Scholar
- 11.Babcock, B., Babu, S., Datar, M., Motwani, R., Widom, J.: Models and issues in data stream systems. In: 21st ACM Symposium on Principles of database systems (PODS), pp. 1–16 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Blanc, X., Mounier, I., Mougenot, A., Mens, T.: Detecting model inconsistency through operation-based model construction. In: 30th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), pp. 511–520. ACM (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Bertot, Y.: Coinduction in coq. CoRR abs/cs/0603119 (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Object Management Group: Meta Object Facility (MOF) 2.0 Query/View/Transformation (QVT) Specification, version 1.0 (April 2008)Google Scholar