Semantics Enhancing Augmented Reality and Making Our Reality Smarter
- 841 Downloads
This paper describes how semantic and Linked Data technology are incorporated into an Augmented Reality (AR) platform in the SmartReality project and form the basis for enhanced AR mobile applications in which information and content in the user’s surroundings can be presented in a more meaningful and useful manner. We describe how things of interest are described semantically and linked into the Linked Open Data cloud. Relevant metadata about things is collected and processed in order to identify and retrieve related content and services. Finally, the user sees this information intuitively in their Smart Reality view of the reality around them. We highlight how the use of semantics and Linked Data enables an AR experience which is more relevant for a user and with respect to what they have around them, and which can be automated and adapted at lower cost to content and application providers.
KeywordsAugmented Reality Link Data Camera View Client Application Application Provider
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Azuma, 2007]Azuma, R.: A Survey of AR, Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, pp. 355–385 (August 1997)Google Scholar
- [Blank et al., 2011]Nixon, L., Grubert, J., Reithmayer, G.: Smart Reality and AR Standards. In: At the 2nd International Augmented Reality Standards Meeting, Barcelona, Spain (2011)Google Scholar
- [Nixon et al., 2011]Pedrinaci, C., Liu, D., Maleshkova, M., Lambert, D., Kopecky, J., Domingue, J.: iServe: a linked services publishing platform. In. In: Ontology Repositories and Editors for the Semantic Web Workshop at The 7th Extended Semantic Web, Heraklion, Greece, May 30-June 03 (2010), http://oro.open.ac.uk/23093/
- [Reynolds, 2010]Reynolds, V., Hausenblas, M., Polleres, A., Hauswirth, M., Hegde, V.: Exploiting Linked Open Data for Mobile Augmented Reality. In: W3C Workshop on Augmented Reality on the Web, Barcelona, Spain (2010)Google Scholar
- [Van Aart et al., 2010]Van Aart, C., Wielinga, B., van Hage, W.: Mobile cultural heritage guide: location-aware semantic search. In: EKAW 2010 – 17th Intl Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management, Lisbon, Portugal (October 2010)Google Scholar