Vino4TOSCA: A Visual Notation for Application Topologies Based on TOSCA
A major difficulty in enterprise computing is the modeling of complex application topologies consisting of numerous individual components and their relationships. Especially in the context of cloud computing, the Topology and Orchestration Specification for Cloud Applications (TOSCA) has been proposed recently for standardization to tackle this issue. However, TOSCA currently lacks a well-defined visual notation enabling effective and efficient communication in order to transport the semantics of the encoded information to human beings. In this paper, we propose a visual notation for TOSCA based on established usability research which provides additional concepts for visual modularization and abstraction of large application topologies.
KeywordsTOSCA Modeling Visual Notation Application Topologies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alexander, C.: Notes on the Synthesis of Form. Harvard University Press (1964)Google Scholar
- 3.Bertin, J.: Semiology of graphics. University of Wisconsin Press (1983)Google Scholar
- 5.Garlan, D., Monroe, R.T., Wile, D.: Acme: Architectural Description of Component-Based Systems. In: Foundations of Component-Based Systems, pp. 47–68. Cambridge University Press (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Moody, D.L.: The “physics” of notations: a scientific approach to designing visual notations in software engineering. In: ICSE, pp. 485–486 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.OASIS: Web Services Business Process Execution Language Version 2.0 – OASIS Standard (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.OASIS: Topology and Orchestration Specification for Cloud Applications Version 1.0 Working Draft 07 (June 2012), http://www.tosca-open.org
- 10.Petre, M., de Quincey, E.: A gentle overview of software visualisation. Psychology of Programming Interest Group (PPIG) (September 2006)Google Scholar