Leveraging MPI’s One-Sided Communication Interface for Shared-Memory Programming
Hybrid parallel programming with MPI for internode communication in conjunction with a shared-memory programming model to manage intranode parallelism has become a dominant approach to scalable parallel programming. While this model provides a great deal of flexibility and performance potential, it saddles programmers with the complexity of utilizing two parallel programming systems in the same application. We introduce an MPI-integrated shared-memory programming model that is incorporated into MPI through a small extension to the one-sided communication interface. We discuss the integration of this interface with the upcoming MPI 3.0 one-sided semantics and describe solutions for providing portable and efficient data sharing, atomic operations, and memory consistency. We describe an implementation of the new interface in the MPICH2 and Open MPI implementations and demonstrate an average performance improvement of 40% to the communication component of a five-point stencil solver.
KeywordsShared Memory Direct Memory Access Memory Window Memory Region Memory Subsystem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.MPI Forum: MPI: A Message-Passing Interface Standard. Version 2.2 (September 4, 2009), http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-2.2/mpi22-report.pdf
- 2.Smith, L., Bull, M.: Development of mixed mode MPI / OpenMP applications. Scientific Programming 9(2,3), 83–98 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Rabenseifner, R., Hager, G., Jost, G.: Hybrid MPI/OpenMP parallel programming on clusters of multi-core SMP nodes. In: Proc. of the 17th Euromicro Intl. Conf. on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Processing (February 2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Demaine, E.: A threads-only MPI implementation for the development of parallel programs. In: Proceedings of the 11th Intl. Symp. on HPC Systems, pp. 153–163 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Bhargava, P.: MPI-LITE: Multithreading Support for MPI (1997), http://pcl.cs.ucla.edu/projects/sesame/mpi_lite/mpi_lite.html
- 6.Shen, K., Tang, H., Yang, T.: Adaptive two-level thread management for fast MPI execution on shared memory machines. In: Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Shirley, D.: Enhancing MPI applications through selective use of shared memory on SMPs. In: Proc. of the 1st SIAM Conference on CSE (September 2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Los Alamos National Laboratory: Unified Parallel Software Users’ Guide and Reference Manual (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Heroux, M.A., Brightwell, R., Wolf, M.M.: Bi-modal MPI and MPI+threads computing on scalable multicore systems. IJHPCA (2011) (submitted)Google Scholar