A Spatially-Constrained Normalized Gamma Process for Data Clustering
In this work, we propose a novel nonparametric Bayesian method for clustering of data with spatial interdependencies. Specifically, we devise a novel normalized Gamma process, regulated by a simplified (pointwise) Markov random field (Gibbsian) distribution with a countably infinite number of states. As a result of its construction, the proposed model allows for introducing spatial dependencies in the clustering mechanics of the normalized Gamma process, thus yielding a novel nonparametric Bayesian method for spatial data clustering. We derive an efficient truncated variational Bayesian algorithm for model inference. We examine the efficacy of our approach by considering an image segmentation application using a real-world dataset. We show that our approach outperforms related methods from the field of Bayesian nonparametrics, including the infinite hidden Markov random field model, and the Dirichlet process prior.
- 5.Blei, D., Jordan, M.: Variational methods for the Dirichlet process. In: 21st Int. Conf. Machine Learning, New York, NY, USA, pp. 12–19 (July 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Chatzis, S.P., Tsechpenakis, G.: The infinite hidden Markov random field model. In: Proc. 12th International IEEE Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), Kyoto, Japan, pp. 654–661 (September 2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Clifford, P.: Markov random fields in statistics. In: Grimmett, G., Welsh, D. (eds.) Disorder in Physical Systems. A volume in Honour of John M. Hammersley on the Occasion of His 70th Birthday. Oxford Science Publication, Clarendon Press, Oxford (1990)Google Scholar
- 20.Martin, D., Fowlkes, C., Tal, D., Malik, J.: A database of human segmented natural images and its application to evaluating segmentation algorithms and measuring ecological statistics. In: Proc. 8th Int’l Conf. Computer Vision, Vancouver, Canada, pp. 416–423 (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 21.Unnikrishnan, R., Pantofaru, C., Hebert, M.: A measure for objective evaluation of image segmentation algorithms. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 34–41 (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 22.Mori, G.: Guiding model search using segmentation. In: Proc. 10th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, ICCV (2005)Google Scholar