SMT-Based Induction Methods for Timed Systems
- 486 Downloads
Modeling time-related aspects is important in many applications of verification methods. For precise results, it is necessary to interpret time as a dense domain, e.g. using timed automata as a formalism, even though the system’s resulting infinite state space is challenging for verification methods. Furthermore, fully symbolic treatment of both timing related and non-timing related elements of the state space seems to offer an attractive approach to model checking timed systems with a large amount of non-determinism. This paper presents an SMT-based timed system extension to the IC3 algorithm, a SAT-based novel, highly efficient, complete verification method for untimed systems. Handling of the infinite state spaces of timed system in the extended IC3 algorithm is based on suitably adapting the well-known region abstraction for timed systems. Additionally, k-induction, another symbolic verification method for discrete time systems, is extended in a similar fashion to support timed systems. Both methods are evaluated and experimentally compared to a booleanization-based verification approach that uses the original discrete time IC3 algorithm.
KeywordsModel Check Proof Obligation Bound Model Check Linear Arithmetic Random Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Gruhn, P., Cheddie, H.L.: Safety Instrumented Systems: Design, Analysis, and Justification. ISA (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Kindermann, R., Junttila, T., Niemelä, I.: Modeling for symbolic analysis of safety instrumented systems with clocks. In: Proc. ACSD 2011, pp. 185–194. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Manna, Z., Pnueli, A.: The Temporal Logic of Reactive and Concurrent Systems: Specification. Springer (1992)Google Scholar
- 17.Barrett, C., Sebastiani, R., Seshia, S.A., Tinelli, C.: Satisfiability modulo theories. In: Handbook of Satisfiability, pp. 825–885. IOS Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Björkmann, K., Frits, J., Valkonen, J., Heljanko, K., Niemelä, I.: Model-based analysis of a stepwise shutdown logic. VTT Working Papers 115. VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Espoo (2009)Google Scholar
- 21.Een, N., Mishchenko, A., Brayton, R.: Efficient implementation of property directed reachability. In: Proceedings of IWLS, IEEE/ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 24.Kindermann, R., Junttila, T., Niemelä, I.: SMT-based induction methods for timed systems. arXiv.org document arXiv:1204.5639v1(cs.LO) (2012)Google Scholar
- 26.Lahtinen, J., Björkman, K., Valkonen, J., Frits, J., Niemelä, I.: Analysis of an emergency diesel generator control system by compositional model checking. VTT Working Papers 156. VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Espoo (2010)Google Scholar