Certain Conjunctive Query Answering in SQL
An uncertain database db is defined as a database in which distinct tuples of the same relation can agree on their primary key. A repair (or possible world) of db is then obtained by selecting a maximal number of tuples without ever selecting two distinct tuples of the same relation that agree on their primary key. Given a query Q on db, the certain answer is the intersection of the answers to Q on all repairs. Recently, a syntactic characterization was obtained of the class of acyclic self-join-free conjunctive queries for which certain answers are definable by a first-order formula, called certain first-order rewriting . In this article, we investigate the nesting and alternation of quantifiers in certain first-order rewritings, and propose two syntactic simplification techniques. We then experimentally verify whether these syntactic simplifications result in lower execution times on real-life SQL databases.
KeywordsConjunctive Query Query Answering Probabilistic Database Attack Graph Nest Depth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arenas, M., Bertossi, L.E., Chomicki, J.: Consistent query answers in inconsistent databases. In: PODS, pp. 68–79. ACM Press (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Bertossi, L.E.: Database Repairing and Consistent Query Answering. Synthesis Lectures on Data Management. Morgan & Claypool Publishers (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Fuxman, A., Fazli, E., Miller, R.J.: Conquer: Efficient management of inconsistent databases. In: Özcan, F. (ed.) SIGMOD Conference, pp. 155–166. ACM (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Libkin, L.: Elements of Finite Model Theory. Springer (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Maslowski, D., Wijsen, J.: A dichotomy in the complexity of counting database repairs. J. Comput. Syst. Sci. (in press)Google Scholar
- 12.Maslowski, D., Wijsen, J.: On counting database repairs. In: Fletcher, G.H.L., Staworko, S. (eds.) LID, pp. 15–22. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Ullman, J.D.: Principles of Database and Knowledge-Base Systems, vol. I. Computer Science Press (1988)Google Scholar
- 15.Wijsen, J.: On the first-order expressibility of computing certain answers to conjunctive queries over uncertain databases. In: Paredaens, J., Gucht, D.V. (eds.) PODS, pp. 179–190. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Wijsen, J.: Certain conjunctive query answering in first-order logic. ACM Trans. Database Syst. 37(2) (2012)Google Scholar