Parameterized Algorithmics and Computational Experiments for Finding 2-Clubs
Given an undirected graph G = (V,E) and an integer ℓ ≥ 1, the NP-hard 2-Club problem asks for a vertex set S ⊆ V of size at least ℓ such that the subgraph induced by S has diameter at most two. In this work, we extend previous parameterized complexity studies for 2-Club. On the positive side, we give polynomial kernels for the parameters “feedback edge set size of G” and “size of a cluster editing set of G” and present a direct combinatorial algorithm for the parameter “treewidth of G”. On the negative side, we first show that unless NP ⊆ coNP/poly, 2-Club does not admit a polynomial kernel with respect to the “size of a vertex cover of G”. Next, we show that, under the strong exponential time hypothesis, a previous O *(2|V| − ℓ) search tree algorithm [Schäfer et al., Optim. Lett. 2012] cannot be improved and that, unless NP ⊆ coNP/poly, there is no polynomial kernel for the dual parameter |V| − ℓ. Finally, we show that, in spite of this lower bound, the search tree algorithm for the dual parameter |V| − ℓ can be tuned into an efficient exact algorithm for 2-Club that substantially outperforms previous implementations.
KeywordsSearch Tree Vertex Cover Polynomial Kernel Marked Vertex Dual Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Chang, M.S., Hung, L.J., Lin, C.R., Su, P.C.: Finding large k-clubs in undirected graphs. In: Proc. 28th Workshop on Combinatorial Mathematics and Computation Theory (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.DIMACS. Graph partitioning and graph clustering (2012), http://www.cc.gatech.edu/dimacs10/ (accessed April 2012)
- 9.Downey, R.G., Fellows, M.R.: Parameterized Complexity. Springer (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Flum, J., Grohe, M.: Parameterized Complexity Theory. Springer (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Hartung, S., Komusiewicz, C., Nichterlein, A.: On structural parameterizations for the 2-club problem (manuscript, June 2012) Google Scholar
- 15.Mahdavi, F., Balasundaram, B.: On inclusionwise maximal and maximum cardinality k-clubs in graphs. Discrete Optim. (to appear, 2012)Google Scholar
- 18.Niedermeier, R.: Invitation to Fixed-Parameter Algorithms. Oxford University Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 20.Schäfer, A., Komusiewicz, C., Moser, H., Niedermeier, R.: Parameterized computational complexity of finding small-diameter subgraphs. Optim. Lett. 6(5) (2012)Google Scholar
- 21.Schäfer, A.: Exact algorithms for s-club finding and related problems. Diploma thesis, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena (2009)Google Scholar