Illumination Normalization for SIFT Based Finger Vein Authentication
Recently, the biometric information such as faces, fingerprints, and irises has been used widely in a security system for biometric authentication. Among these biometric features which are unique to each individual, the blood vessel pattern in fingers is superior for identifying individuals and verifying their identities: We may obtain easily the information on blood vessels which is almost impossible to counterfeit because the pattern exists inside the body unlike the others. In this work, we propose a finger vein recognition method using an illumination normalization and a SIFT (Scale-Invariant Feature Transform) matching identification. To verify individual identification, the proposed methodology is composed of two steps: (i) we first normalize the illumination of finger vein images, and (ii) extract SIFT descriptors from the image and match them to the given data. Experimental results indicate that the proposed method is shown to be successful for authentication system.
KeywordsVerification System Sift Descriptor Vein Pattern Illumination Normalization Biometric Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wang, L., Leedham, G., Cho, D.S.-Y.: Minutiae feature analysis for infrared hand vein pattern biometrics. In: Pattern Recognition. Part Special Issues in The Journal of the Pattern Recognition Society, vol. 41, pp. 920–929 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Lowe, D.G.: Demo Software, SIFT Keypoint Detector, http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~lowe/keypoints/
- 6.Mulyono, D., Woodell, G.A., Jobson, D.J.: A Study of finger vein biometric for personal identification. In: International Symposium on Biometric and Security Technologies, Taipei, pp. 1–8 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Rahman, Z., Woodell, G.A., Jobson, D.J.: Retinex Image Enhancement: Application to Medical Images. In: The NASA Workshop on New Partnerships in Medical Diagnostic Imaging, Greebelt, Maryland (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Land, E.H.: An alternative technique for the computation of the designator in the retinex theory of color vision. In: PNAS. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 83, pp. 3078–3080 (1986)Google Scholar
- 10.Lee, E.J., Lee, E.C.: Illumination normalization method of infrared vein image to enhance localization performance of vein region. Journal of Korea Multimedia Society (submitted, 2012)Google Scholar