Rule Quality Measure-Based Induction of Unordered Sets of Regression Rules
This paper presents the algorithm for induction of unordered sets of regression rules. It uses sequential covering strategy and dynamic reduction to classification approach. The main focus is put on quality measures which control the process of rule induction. We examined the effectiveness of nine quality measures. Moreover, we propose and compare three schemes of the prediction of target attribute value of examples covered by more than one rule. We also show rule filtration algorithm for the reduction of the number of generated rules. All experiments were carried out on 35 benchmark datasets.
Keywordsrule-based regression rule quality measures rule induction rule filtration prediction conflicts resolving
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Grzymala-Busse, J.W., Ziarko, W.: Data mining based on rough sets. In: Data Mining: Opportunities and Challenges, pp. 142–173. IGI Global (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Wojtusiak, J., Michalski, R.S., Kaufman, K.A., Pietrzykowski, J.: The AQ21 natural induction program for pattern discovery: Initial version and its novel features. In: Proceedings of the 18th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, pp. 13–15 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Sikora, M., Wróbel, L.: Data-driven adaptive selection of rule quality measures for improving rule induction and filtration algorithms. International Journal of General Systems (to appear, 2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Quinlan, R.J.: Learning with continuous classes. In: 5th Australian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 343–348. World Scientific, Singapore (1992)Google Scholar
- 18.Breiman, L., Friedman, J.H., Olshen, R.A., Stone, C.J.: Classification and Regression Trees. Wadsworth (1984)Google Scholar
- 19.Friedman, J.H., Popescu, B.E.: Predictive learning via rule ensembles. The Annals of Applied Statistics, 916–954 (2008)Google Scholar
- 21.Demšar, D.: Obravnavanje numeričnih problemov z induktivnim logičnim programiranjem. Master’s thesis, Faculty of Computer and Information Science, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, 59, 64 (1999) (in Slovene)Google Scholar
- 22.Janssen, F., Fürnkranz, J.: Heuristic rule-based regression via dynamic reduction to classification. In: Walsh, T. (ed.) Proceedings of the 22nd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2011), pp. 1330–1335 (2011)Google Scholar
- 24.Witten, I.H., Frank, E., Hall, M.A.: Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques, 3rd edn. Morgan Kaufmann, Amsterdam (2011)Google Scholar