Detection of HF First-Order Sea Clutter and Its Splitting Peaks with Image Feature: Results in Strong Current Shear Environment
Strong current shear environment always results in the twisty and splitted sea clutter along the range dimension in the range-Doppler spectral map. A sea clutter detection method with image feature is proposed. With 2-D image features in range-Doppler spectrum, the trend of first-order sea echoes is extracted as indicative information by a multi-scale filter. Detection rules for both single and splitting first-order sea echoes are given based on the characteristic knowledge combining the indicative information with the global characteristics such as amplitude, symmetry, continuity, etc. Compared with the classical algorithms, the proposed method can detect and locate the first-order sea echo in the HF band more accurately especially in the environment with targets/clutters smearing. Experiments with real data in strong current shear environment verify the validity of the algorithm.
Keywordssea state remote sensing first-order sea clutter image feature Bragg peak splitting high frequency radar
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Khan, R., Power, D., Walsh, J.: Ocean Clutter Suppression for An HF Ground Wave Radar. In: IEEE 1997 Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, pp. 512–515. IEEE Press, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Xing-Bin, G., Cheng-Ge, Z., Ye-Shu, Y.: Sea-Clutter-Canceling for HF Ground-Wave Shipborne OTH Radar. Dian Zi Xue Bao 28(3), 5–8 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Ji, Z., Meng, X., Zhou, H.: Analysis of Sea Clutters in HF Ground Wave Over-the-Horizon Radar. System Engineering and Electronics 22(5), 12–16 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Tong, J., Wen, B., Wang, S.: Ship Target Detection in Strong Sea Clutter Background. Journal of Wuhan University (Natural and Science Edition) 51(3), 370–374 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Qiang, Y.: Research of Detector in High Frequency Ground Wave Radar, Harbin Institute of Technology (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 17.Lindeberg, T.: Edge Detection and Ridge Detection with Automatic Scale Selection. International Journal of Computer Vision 30(2), 107–153 (1998)Google Scholar
- 18.Yujin, Z.: Image Engineering (II): Image Analysis, 2nd edn., pp. 369–376. Tsinghua University Press, Beijing (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.Yang, L., Ning, Z., Qiang, Y.: A Fast, Accurate Spectral Peak Location Estimator. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology 40(S1), 160–163 (2008)Google Scholar
- 20.Yang, L., Ning, Z., Qiang, Y.: Characteristic-Knowledge-Aided Spectral Detection of High Frequency First-Order Sea Echo. Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics 20(4), 718–725 (2009)Google Scholar