Evolutionary Testing of PHP Web Applications with WETT
One of the current core requirements of web applications is the continuity of the service, because loss in availability can lead to severe economic losses. This is the main reason behind the growing interest in web application testing that offers to researchers several challenges, due to the peculiar nature of these applications. Several classical testing techniques have been extended to deal with web testing. In this paper we propose to extend to web application testing a recent search-based approach that optimizes the generation of the whole test suite. This approach has several advantages over common approaches that optimize the generation of a single test case at a time. We show the technological challenges we have had to face, the architecture of the tool WETT we have developed, and some preliminary results of the experiments.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alshahwan, N., Harman, M.: Automated web application testing using search based software engineering. In: Proc. of ASE 2011 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Andrews, A., Offutt, J., Alexander, R.: Testing web applications by modeling with FSMs. Software and Systems Modeling (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Artzi, S., Kiezun, A., Dolby, J., Tip, F., Dig, D., Paradkar, A., Ernst, M.: Finding bugs in web applications using dynamic test generation and explicit-state model checking. IEEE Trans. Softw. Eng. 36(4) (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Di Lucca, G., Fasolino, A.: Testing web-based applications: The state of the art and future trends. Information and Software Technology 48(12) (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Fraser, G., Arcuri, A.: Evolutionary generation of whole test suites. In: Proc. of QSIC 2011 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Fraser, G., Arcuri, A.: Evosuite: Automatic test suite generation for object-oriented software. In: Proc. of ACM SIGSOFT ESEC/FSE, pp. 416–419 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Marchetto, A., Tonella, P.: Search-based testing of ajax web applications. In: Proc. of SSBSE 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.McMinn, P.: Search-based software test data generation: a survey. Softw. Test, Verif. Reliab. 14(2) (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Pertet, S., Narasimhan, P.: Causes of failures in web applications. CMU Technical Report (2005)Google Scholar