Evolution Strategies for Optimizing Rectangular Cartograms
A rectangular cartogram is a type of map where every region is a rectangle. The size of the rectangles is chosen such that their areas represent a geographic variable such as population or GDP. In recent years several algorithms for the automated construction of rectangular cartograms have been proposed, some of which are based on rectangular duals of the dual graph of the input map. In this paper we present a new approach to efficiently search within the exponentially large space of all possible rectangular duals. We employ evolution strategies that find rectangular duals which can be used for rectangular cartograms with correct adjacencies and (close to) zero cartographic error. This is a considerable improvement upon previous methods that have to either relax adjacency requirements or deal with larger errors. We present extensive experimental results for a large variety of data sets.
KeywordsRectangular cartogram evolution strategy regular edge labeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dent, B.D.: Cartography - thematic map design, 5th edn. McGraw-Hill (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Dorling, D.: Area Cartograms: their Use and Creation. Concepts and Techniques in Modern Geography, vol. 59. University of East Anglia, Environmental Publications, Norwich (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Fusy, É.: Combinatoire des cartes planaires et applications algorithmiques. PhD thesis, École Polytechnique (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Heilmann, R., Keim, D.A., Panse, C., Sips, M.: Recmap: Rectangular map approximations. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization (INFOVIS), pp. 33–40 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Inoue, R., Kitaura, K., Shimizu, E.: New solution for construction of rectilinear area cartogram. In: Proceedings of 24th International Cartography Conference. CD-ROM (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Koźmiński, K., Kinnen, E.: Rectangular dual of planar graphs. Networks 5, 145–157 (1985)Google Scholar
- 13.NCGIA/USGS. Cartogram Central (2002), http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/projects/Cartogram_Central/index.html
- 16.Speckmann, B., van Kreveld, M., Florisson, S.: A linear programming approach to rectangular cartograms. In: Progress in Spatial Data Handling: Proc. 12th International Symposium on Spatial Data Handling, pp. 529–546. Springer (2006)Google Scholar