Evolving the Asymmetry of the Prisoner’s Dilemma Game in Adaptive Social Structures
Empirical studies show that most real social networks exhibit both a significant average connectivity and marked heterogeneity. While the first precludes the emergence of cooperation in static networks, it has been recently shown that the latter induces a symmetry breaking of the game, as cooperative acts become dependent on the social context of the individual. Here we show how adaptive networks can give rise to such diversity in social contexts, creating sufficient conditions for cooperation to prevail as a result of a positive assortment of strategies and the emergence of a symmetry breaking of the game. We further show that realistic heterogeneous networks of high average connectivity where cooperation prevails can result from a simple topological dynamics.
KeywordsEvolution of Cooperation Evolutionary Game Theory Distributed Prisoner’s Dilemma Dynamic Networks Evolutionary Dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Maynard Smith, J., Szathmáry, E.: The Major Transitions in Evolution. W. H. Freeman, Oxford (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Sigmund, K.: The Calculus of Selfishness. Princeton University Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Zimmermann, M.G., Eguíluz, V.M.: Cooperation, social networks, and the emergence of leadership in a prisoner’s dilemma with adaptive local interactions. Phys Review E 72 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Ebel, H., Bornholdt, S.: Coevolutionary games on networks. Phys. Rev. E Stat. Nonlin. Soft Matter Phys. 66, 056118 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Santos, F.C., Pacheco, J.M.: Scale-free networks provide a unifying framework for the emergence of cooperation. Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 098104 (2005)Google Scholar
- 20.Pacheco, J.M., Pinheiro, F.L., Santos, F.C.: Population structure induces a symmetry breaking favoring the emergence of cooperation. PLoS Comput. Biol. 5, e1000596 (2009)Google Scholar
- 21.Santos, F.C., Pacheco, J.M., Lenaerts, T.: Cooperation prevails when individuals adjust their social ties. PLoS Comput. Biol. 2 e140 (2006)Google Scholar
- 23.Tanimoto, J.: Dilemma solving by the coevolution of networks and strategy in a 2x2 game. Phys. Review E 76, 021126 (2007)Google Scholar
- 26.Santos, F.C., Rodrigues, J.F., Pacheco, J.M.: Epidemic spreading and cooperation dynamics on homogeneous small-world networks. Phys. Rev. E Stat. Nonlin. Soft Matter Phys. 72, 056128 (2005)Google Scholar
- 27.Traulsen, A., Nowak, M.A., Pacheco, J.M.: Stochastic dynamics of invasion and fixation. Phys. Rev. E Stat. Nonlin. Soft Matter Phys. 74, 011909 (2006)Google Scholar