A Scheme of Fragment-Based Faceted Image Search
Retrieving desired images from large amounts of images has been increasingly important. Traditionally keyword search and content-based image retrieval have been used for image search. However, such retrieval methods have scarcely assumed a case when users have few terms for desired images or few images similar to the desired images. For this problem, we use fragments of images extracted from datasets as values of facets in faceted navigation. We extract parts of images as fragments. Then, we make a several number of groups for each part to decide representative images for faceted navigation. Our empirical user study based on an example application using face image data, FUKUWARAI, shows that our proposal successfully supports users to find desired images.
KeywordsFaceted Navigation Image Retrieval Faceted Image Search Fragments Fragment-based Faceted Search
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The FEI Face Database, http://fei.edu.br/~cet/facedatabase.html
- 2.Datta, R., Joshi, D., Li, J., Wang, J.Z.: Image Retrieval: Ideas, Influences, and Trends of the New Age. ACM Comput. Surv. 40(2) (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Hare, J.S., Lewis, P.H., Enser, P.G.B., Sandom, C.J.: Semantic Facets: An in-depth Analysis of a Semantic Image Retrieval System. In: CIVR, pp. 250–257 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Milborrow, S., Morkel, J., Nicolls, F.: The MUCT Landmarked Face Database. PRASA (2010), http://www.milbo.org/muct
- 6.Sacco, G.M., Tzitzikas, Y.: Dynamic Taxonomies and Faceted Search. Springer (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Stober, S., Hentschel, C., Nürnberger, A.: Multi-facet exploration of image collections with an adaptive multi-focus zoomable interface. In: IJCNN, pp. 1–8. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.White, R.W., Kules, B., Drucker, S.M., Schraefel, M.: Supporting Exploratory Search. Introduction, CommuSupporting Exploratory Senications of the ACM 49(4), 36–39 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Yee, K.P., Swearingen, K., Li, K., Hearst, M.A.: Faceted Metadata for Image Search and Browsing. In: Proc. CHI, pp. 401–408 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.van Zwol, R., Sigurbjörnsson, B., Adapala, R., Pueyo, L.G., Katiyar, A., Kurapati, K., Muralidharan, M., Muthu, S., Murdock, V., Ng, P., Ramani, A., Sahai, A., Sathish, S.T., Vasudev, H., Vuyyuru, U.: Faceted Exploration of Image Search Results. In: Proc. WWW, pp. 961–970 (2010)Google Scholar