Domain-Knowledge Optimized Simulated Annealing for Network-on-Chip Application Mapping
Network-on-Chip architectures are scalable on-chip interconnection networks. They replace the inefficient shared buses and are suitable for multicore and manycore systems. This paper presents an Optimized Simulated Annealing (OSA) algorithm for the Network-on-Chip application mapping problem. With OSA, the cores are implicitly and dynamically clustered using knowledge about communication demands. We show that OSA is a more feasible Simulated Annealing approach to NoC application mapping by comparing it with a general Simulated Annealing algorithm and a Branch and Bound algorithm, too. Using real applications we show that OSA is significantly faster than a general Simulated Annealing, without giving worse solutions. OSA proves to be feasible for Networks-on-Chip with more than 100 nodes. Also, compared to a Branch and Bound technique, it gives better solutions, as the problem size increases, while in terms of speed and memory consumption the two algorithms are comparable.
KeywordsNetwork-on-Chip (NoC) application mapping clustering optimization evaluation simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.SLD: System Level Design Group @ CMU: NoCmap: an energy- and performance-aware mapping tool for Networks-on-Chip, http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~sld/wiki/doku.php?id=shared:nocmap
- 7.Radu, C., Vinţan, L.: Unimap: Unified Framework For Network-On-Chip Application Mapping Research. Acta Universitatis Cibiniensis Technical Series (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Radu, C., Vinţan, L.: Optimizing Application Mapping Algorithms for NoCs through a Unified Framework. In: 2010 9th Roedunet International Conference (RoEduNet), pp. 259–264. IEEE Computer Society, Sibiu (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Orsila, H., Salminen, E., Hämäläinen, T.D.: Best Practices for Simulated Annealing in Multiprocessor Task Distribution Problems. Simulated Annealing, pp. 321–342. I-Tech Education and Publishing KG (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.ULBS HPC cluster, http://zamolxe.hpc.ulbsibiu.ro/
- 11.The Embedded System Synthesis Benchmarks Suite (E3S) website, http://ziyang.eecs.umich.edu/~dickrp/e3s/
- 15.Radu, C., Vinţan, L.: Optimized Simulated Annealing for Network-on-Chip Application Mapping. In: Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Control Systems and Computer Science (CSCS-18), pp. 452–459. Politehnica Press, Bucharest (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Radu, C.: Optimized Algorithms for Network-on-Chip Application Mapping. “Lucian Blaga” University of Sibiu, Romania (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Lungu, V., Sofron, A.: Using Particle Swarm Optimization to Create Particle Systems. In: Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Control Systems and Computer Science (CSCS-18), pp. 750–754. Politehnica Press, Bucharest (2011)Google Scholar
- 18.Calborean, H., Jahr, R., Ungerer, T., Vintan, L.: Optimizing a Superscalar System using Multi-objective Design Space Exploration. In: Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Control Systems and Computer Science (CSCS), Bucharest, Romania, pp. 339–346 (2011)Google Scholar