Cutting Down the Energy Consumed by Domestic Robots: Insights from Robotic Vacuum Cleaners
- 2.6k Downloads
The market of domestic service robots, and especially vacuum cleaners, has kept growing during the past decade. According to the International Federation of Robotics, more than one million units were sold worldwide in 2010. Currently, there is no in-depth analysis of the energetic impact of the introduction of this technology on the mass market. This topic is of prime importance in our energy-dependant society. This study aims at identifying key technologies leading to the reduction of the energy consumption of a domestic mobile robot, by exploring the design space using technologies issued from the robotic research field, such as the various localization and navigation strategies. This approach is validated through an in-depth analysis of seven vacuum-cleaning robots. These results are used to build a global assessment of the influential parameters. The major outcome is the assessment of the positive impact of both the ceiling-based visual localization and the laser-based localization approaches.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.iRobot CEO Discusses Q4 2010 Results, http://seekingalpha.com/article/252090-irobot-ceo-discusses-q4-2010-results-earnings-call-transcript
- 2.Alonso, I.: Service robotics. Service Robotics within the Digital Home, 89–114 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Breuer, T., Macedo, G.R.G., Hartanto, R., Hochgeschwender, N., Holz, D., Hegger, F., Jin, Z., Müller, C., Paulus, J., Reckhaus, M., Ruiz, J.A.Á., Plöger, P.G., Kraetzschmar, G.K.: Johnny: An Autonomous Service Robot for Domestic Environments. Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 66(1-2), 245–272 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Jeong, W., Lee, K.: CV-SLAM: A new ceiling vision-based SLAM technique. In: 2005 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, IROS 2005, pp. 3195–3200. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Konolige, K., Augenbraun, J., Donaldson, N., Fiebig, C., Shah, P.: A low-cost laser distance sensor. In: ICRA, pp. 3002–3008. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Prassler, E., Kosuge, K.: Domestic Robotics.. In: Siciliano, B., Khatib, O. (eds.) Springer Handbook of Robotics, pp. 1253–1281. Springer (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Yasutomi, F., Yamada, M., Tsukamoto, K.: Cleaning robot control. In: Proceedings. 1988 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1839–1841. IEEE (1988)Google Scholar
- 15.Yuan, F., Twardon, L., Hanheide, M.: Dynamic path planning adopting human navigation strategies for a domestic mobile robot. In: IROS, pp. 3275–3281. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar