Community Traffic: A Technology for the Next Generation Car Navigation
The paper presents the NaviExpert’s Community Traffic (CT) technology, an interactive, community-based car navigation system. Using data collected from its users, CT offers services unattainable to earlier systems. On one hand, the current traffic data are used to recommend the best routes in the navigation phase, during which many potentially unpredictable traffic-delaying and traffic-jamming events, like unexpected road works, road accidents, closed roads or diversions, can be taken into account and thereby successfully avoided. On the other hand, a number of distinctive features, like immediate localization of various traffic dangers, are offered. Using exclusively real-life data, provided by NaviExpert, the paper presents two illustrative case studies concerned with experimental evaluation of solutions to computational problems related to the community-based services offered by the system.
Keywordscommunity traffic satellite car navigation reliability analysis travel time prediction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Billings, D., Yang, J.: Application of the ARIMA models to urban roadway travel time prediction — a case study. In: IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, SMC 2006, vol. 3 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Kubiak, M.: Credibility assessment in an on-line car navigation system by means of the Expectation Maximization algorithm. Foundations of Computing and Decision Sciences 32(4), 275–294 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Liu, H., van Lint, H., van Zuylen, H., Zhang, K.: Two distinct ways of using Kalman filters to predict urban arterial travel time. In: Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, ITSC 2006, pp. 845–850. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Premaratne, K., Nunez, R., Wickramarathne, T., Murthi, M., Pravia, M., Kuebler, S., Scheutz, M.: Credibility assessment and inference for fusion of hard and soft information. In: Proceedings of AHFE (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Wan, K., Kornhauser, A.: Turn-by-turn routing decision based on copula travel time estimation with observable oating-car data. In: Transportation Research Board 89th Annual Meeting, 10-2723 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhu, T., Kong, X., Lv, W., Zhang, Y., Du, B.: Travel time prediction for oat car system based on time series. In: 2010 The 12th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology, ICACT, vol. 2, pp. 1503–1508 (2010)Google Scholar