Obtaining Internet Flow Statistics by Volunteer-Based System
In this paper we demonstrate how the Volunteer Based System for Research on the Internet, developed at Aalborg University, can be used for creating statistics of Internet usage. Since the data is collected on individual machines, the statistics can be made on the basis of both individual users and groups of users, and as such be useful also for segmentation of users intro groups. We present results with data collected from real users over several months; in particular we demonstrate how the system can be used for studying flow characteristics - the amount of TCP and UDP flows, average flow lengths, and average flow durations. The paper is concluded with a discussion on what further statistics can be made, and the further development of the system.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Maier, G., Feldmann, A., Paxson, V., Allman, M.: On Dominant Characteristics of Residential Broadband Internet Traffic. In: Proceedings of the 9th ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement Conference, pp. 90–102 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Balachandran, K., Broberg, J.H., Revsbech, K., Pedersen, J.M.: Volunteer-Based distributed traffic data collection system. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology, pp. 1147–1152 (February 2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Balachandran, K., Broberg, J.H.: Volunteer-Based Distributed Traffic Data Collection System. Master Thesis at Aalborg University, Department of Electronic Systems (June 2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Bujlow, T., Balachandran, K., Riaz, T., Pedersen, J.M.: Volunteer-Based System for classification of traffic in computer networks. In: IEEE 2011 Proceedings of the 19th Telecommunications Forum TELFOR 2011, pp. 210–213 (November 2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Bujlow, T., Balachandran, K., Hald, S.L., Riaz, T., Pedersen, J.M.: Volunteer-Based System for research on the Internet traffic. TELFOR Journal (accepted, 2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Bujlow, T., Riaz, T., Pedersen, J.M.: A Method for Assessing Quality of Service in Broadband Networks. In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology, pp. 826–831 (February 2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Bujlow, T., Riaz, T., Pedersen, J.M.: A Method for classification of network traffic based on C5.0 Machine Learning Algorithm. In: Proceedings of ICNC 2012 International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC): Workshop on Computing, Networking and Communications, pp. 244–248 (February 2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Bujlow, T., Riaz, T., Pedersen, J.M.: Classification of HTTP traffic based on C5.0 Machine Learning Algorithm. To appear in Fourth IEEE International Workshop on Performance Evaluation of Communications in Distributed Systems and Web-based Service Architectures, PEDISWESA 2012 (2012)Google Scholar