Collection and Analysis of Multimodal Interaction in Direction-Giving Dialogues: Towards an Automatic Gesture Selection Mechanism for Metaverse Avatars
- 571 Downloads
With the aim of building a spatial gesture generation mechanism in Metaverse avatars, we report on an empirical study for multimodal direction-giving dialogues and propose a prototype system for gesture generation. First, we conducted an experiment in which a direction receiver asked for directions to some place on a university campus, and the direction giver gave directions. Then, using a machine learning technique, we annotated the direction giver’s right-hand gestures automatically and analyzed the distribution of the direction of the gestures. As a result, we proposed four types of proxemics and found that the distribution of gesture directions differs with the type of proxemics between the conversational participants. Finally, we implement a gesture generation mechanism into a Metaverse application and demonstrate an example.
KeywordsGesture Direction giving Proxemics Empirical study Metaverse
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Argyle, M.: Non-verbal communication in human social interaction. In: Hinde, R.A. (ed.) Non-verbal Communication. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1972)Google Scholar
- 4.Bull, P.E.: Posture and Gesture. Pergamon Press, Elmsford (1987)Google Scholar
- 6.McNeill, D.: Hand and Mind: What Gestures Reveal about Thought. University of Chicago Press, Chicago (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Nakano, Y.I., Okamoto, M., Kawahara, D., Li, Q., Nishida, T.: Converting Text into Agent Animations: Assigning Gestures to Text. In: Human Language Technology Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (HLT-NAACL 2004), Companion Volume, Boston (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Tepper, P., Kopp, S., Cassell, J.: Content in Context: Generating Language and Iconic Gesture without a Gestionary. In: Proc. of the Workshop on Balanced Perception and Action in ECAs at AAMAS 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Tsukamoto, T., Nakano, Y.: Gesture Generation for Metaverse Avatars using Linguistic and Spatial Information. In: Proc. of the 74th National Convention of IPSJ (in Japanese) (to appear)Google Scholar