Applying Contextual Advertising to MultiModal Information Content
Contextual Advertising, a major sources of income for a large number of websites, is aimed at suggesting products and services to the ever growing population of Internet users. In this paper, we focus on the problem of suggesting suitable advertisements to news aggregation from television and from the Internet. To our best knowledge, this is the first attempt to perform this task in the field of multimodal aggregation. The proposed system suggests from 1 to 5 advertisements related to the main topic of aggregated news items. 15 users were asked to evaluate the relevance of the suggested advertisements. Preliminary results are encouraging for further development and application of contextual advertising in the field of multimodal aggregation.
KeywordsNews Story Text Summarization Religious Culture Contextual Advertising Large Customer Base
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Feldman, J., Muthukrishnan, S.: Algorithmic methods for sponsored search advertising. CoRR abs/0805.1759 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Armano, G., Giuliani, A., Vargiu, E.: Studying the impact of text summarization on contextual advertising. In: 8th International Workshop on Text-based Information Retrieval (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Messina, A., Montagnuolo, M.: Multimodal Aggregation and Recommendation Technologies Applied to Informative Content Distribution and Retrieval. In: Soro, A., Vargiu, E., Armano, G., Paddeu, G. (eds.) Information Retrieval and Mining in Distributed Environments. SCI, vol. 324, pp. 213–232. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Salton, G., McGill, M.: Introduction to Modern Information Retrieval. McGraw-Hill Book Company (1984)Google Scholar
- 7.Rocchio, J.: Relevance feedback in information retrieval. In: The SMART Retrieval System: Experiments in Automatic Document Processing, pp. 313–323. Prentice Hall (1971)Google Scholar
- 8.Armano, G., Giuliani, A., Vargiu, E.: Experimenting text summarization techniques for contextual advertising. In: IIR 2011: Proceedings of the 2nd Italian Information Retrieval (IIR) Workshop (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Armano, G., Giuliani, A., Messina, A., Montagnuolo, M., Vargiu, E.: Experimenting text summarization on multimodal aggregation. In: Lai, C., Semeraro, G., Vargiu, E. (eds.) 5th International Workshop DART 2011, New Challenges on Information Retrieval and Filtering. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, vol. 771 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Ciaramita, M., Murdock, V., Plachouras, V.: Semantic associations for contextual advertising. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research 9(1), 1–15 (2008); Special Issue on Online Advertising and Sponsored SearchGoogle Scholar
- 13.Amer-Yahia, S., Roy, S.B., Chawlat, A., Das, G., Yu, C.: Group recommendation: semantics and efficiency. Proc. VLDB Endow. 2(1), 754–765 (2009)Google Scholar