Algorithmic Exploration of Axiom Spaces for Efficient Similarity Search at Large Scale
Similarity search is becoming popular in even more disciplines, such as multimedia databases, bioinformatics, social networks, to name a few. The existing indexing techniques often assume the metric space model that could be too restrictive from the domain point of view. Hence, many modern applications that involve complex similarities do not use any indexing and use just sequential search, so they are applicable only to small databases. In this paper we revisit the assumptions which persist in the mainstream research of content-based retrieval. Leaving the traditional indexing paradigms such as the metric space model, our goal is to propose alternative methods for indexing that shall lead to high-performance similarity search. We introduce the design of the algorithmic framework SIMDEX for exploration of analytical properties (axioms) useful for indexing that hold in a given complex similarity space but were not discovered so far. Consequently, the known axioms will be localized as a subset within the universe of all axioms suitable for indexing. Speaking in a hyperbole, for database research the discovery of new axioms valid in some similarity space might have an impact comparable to the discovery of new laws of physics holding in parallel universes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Beecks, C., Uysal, M.S., Seidl, T.: Signature quadratic form distance. In: Proc. ACM International Conference on Image and Video Retrieval, pp. 438–445 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Bolettieri, P., Esuli, A., Falchi, F., Lucchese, C., Perego, R., Piccioli, T., Rabitti, F.: CoPhIR: a Test Collection for Content-Based Image Retrieval. CoRR, abs/0905.4627v2 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Dean, J., Ghemawat, S.: MapReduce: simplified data processing on large clusters. In: Proceedings of the 6th Conference on Symposium on Opearting Systems Design & Implementation - Volume 6 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Hetland, M.L.: Ptolemaic indexing. arXiv:0911.4384 [cs.DS] (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Hettich, S., Bay, S.D.: The UCI KDD archive (1999), http://kdd.ics.uci.edu
- 9.Howarth, P., Rüger, S.: Fractional distance measures for content-based image retrieval. In: 27th European Conference on Information Retrieval, pp. 447–456. Springer (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Lokoč, J., Hetland, M.L., Skopal, T., Beecks, C.: Ptolemaic indexing of the signature quadratic form distance. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Similarity Search and Applications, pp. 9–16. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Navarro, G.: Analyzing metric space indexes: What for? In: IEEE SISAP 2009, pp. 3–10 (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Novák, J., Skopal, T., Hoksza, D., Lokoč, J.: Non-metric Similarity Search of Tandem Mass Spectra Including Posttranslational Modifications. Journal of Discrete Algorithms 13 (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.Samet, H.: Foundations of Multidimensional and Metric Data Structures. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., San Francisco (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.Zezula, P., Amato, G., Dohnal, V., Batko, M.: Similarity Search: The Metric Space Approach (Advances in Database Systems). Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., Secaucus (2005)Google Scholar