Layered Formulation for the Robust Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows
This paper studies the vehicle routing problem with time windows where travel times are uncertain and belong to a predetermined polytope. The objective of the problem is to find a set of routes that services all nodes of the graph and that are feasible for all values of the travel times in the uncertainty polytope. The problem is motivated by maritime transportation where delays are frequent and must be taken into account. We present an extended formulation for the vehicle routing problem with time windows that allows us to apply the classical (static) robust programming approach to the problem. The formulation is based on a layered representation of the graph, which enables to track the position of each arc in its route. We test our formulation on a test bed composed of maritime transportation instances.
Keywordsvehicle routing problem robust programming time windows maritime transportation layered formulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Ben-Tal, A., Ghaoui, L.E., Nemirovski, A.: Robust optimization. Princeton University Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Christiansen, M., Fagerholt, K., Nygreen, B., Ronen, D.: Maritime Transportation. In: Handbooks in Operations Research and Management Science, vol. 14, pp. 150–168. Elsevier Science Publishers, North-Holland (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Desaulniers, G., Desrosiers, J., Spoorendonk, S.: The Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows: State-of-the-Art Exact Solution Methods. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Golden, B., Raghavan, S., Wasil, E.A.: The vehicle routing problem: latest advances and new challenges. Operations Research/Computer Science Interfaces Series, vol. 43. Springer (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Kallehauge, B., Larsen, J., Madsen, O.B.G., Solomon, M.M.: Vehicle routing problem with time window. In: Column Generation. Springer (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Ordónez, F.: Robust vehicle routing. TUTORIALS in Oprations Research, 153–178 (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Suite, F.X.O.: Xpress-Optimizer reference manual. Tech. Rep. Release 22.01 (2011)Google Scholar