A Computer Aided Diagnosis System for Breast Cancer Using Support Vector Machine
This article introduces a computer aided diagnosis scheme using support vector machine, in conjunction with moment-based feature extraction. An application of ultrasound breast cancer imaging has been chosen and computer aided diagnosis scheme have been applied to see their ability and accuracy to classify the breast cancer images into two outcomes: cancer or non-cancer. The introduced scheme starts with a preprocessing phase to enhance the quality of the input breast ultrasound images and to reduce speckle without destroying the important features of input ultrasound images for diagnosis. This is followed by performing the seeded-threshold growing region algorithm in order to identify the region of interest and to detect the boundary of the breast pattern. Then, moment-based features are extracted. Finally, a support vector machine classifier were employed to evaluate the ability of the lesion descriptors for discrimination of different regions of interest to determine whether they represent cancer or not. To evaluate the performance of presented scheme, we present tests on different breast ultrasound images. The experimental results obtained, show that the overall accuracy offered by the employed support vector machine was 98.1%, whereas classification ratio using neural network was 92.8%.
KeywordsBreast Cancer Support Vector Machine Ultrasound Image Digital Mammography Suspicious Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Eadie, L.H., Taylor, P., Gibson, A.P.: A systematic review of computer-assisted diagnosis in diagnostic cancer imaging. European Journal of Radiology (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Flusser, J.: Moment Invariants in Image Analysis. World Academy of Science. Engineering and Technology 11, 376–381 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Luo, S.-T., Cheng, B.-W.: Diagnosing Breast Masses in Digital MammographyUsing Feature Selection and Ensemble Methods. J. Medical System (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Tumen, R.S., Acer, M.E., Sezgin, T.M.: Feature extraction and classifier combination for image-based sketch recognition. In: Proc. SBIM 2010, pp. 63–70 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Alemn-Flores, M., Alemn-Flores, P., Lvarez-Len, L., Fuentes-Pavn, R., Santana-Montesdeoca, J.M.: Filtering, Segmentation and Feature Extraction in Ultrasound Evaluation of Breast Lesions. In: Bildverarbeitung fr die Medizin, pp. 168–172 (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Mancas, M., Gosselin, B., Macq, B.: Segmentation using a region-growing thresholding. In: Image Processing: Algorithms and Systems, pp. 388–398 (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Mat-Isa, N.A., Mashor, M.Y., Othman, N.H.: Seeded Region Growing Features Extraction Algorithm; Its Potential Use in Improving Screening for Cervical Cancer. International Journal of The Computer, the Internet and Management 13(1), 61–70 (2005)Google Scholar