Spatial Correlation of Multi-sensor Features for Autonomous Victim Identification
Robots are used for Urban Search and Rescue to assist rescue workers. To enable the robots to find victims, they are equipped with various sensors including thermal, video and depth time-of-flight cameras, and laser range-finders. We present a method to enable a robot to perform this task autonomously. Thermal features are detected using a dynamic temperature threshold. By aligning the thermal and time-of-flight camera images, the thermal features are projected into 3D space. Edge detection on laser data is used to locate holes within the environment, which are then spatially correlated to the thermal features. A decision tree uses the correlated features to direct the autonomous policy to explore the environment and locate victims. The method was evaluated in the 2010 RoboCup Rescue Real Robots Competition.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Birk, A., Kenn, H., Carpin, S., Pfingsthorn, M.: Toward Autonomous Rescue Robots. In: Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Synthetic Simulation and Robotics to Mitigate Earthquake Disasters (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Gumhold, S., Wang, X., MacLeod, R.: Feature extraction from point clouds. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Meshing Roundtable, vol. 2001, pp. 293–305 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Meyer, J., Schnitzspan, P., Kohlbrecher, S., Petersen, K., Andriluka, M., Schwahn, O., Klingauf, U., Roth, S., Schiele, B., von Stryk, O.: A Semantic world Model for Urban Search and Rescue Based on Heterogeneous Sensors. In: Ruiz-del-Solar, J. (ed.) RoboCup 2010. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 6556, pp. 180–193. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Milstein, A., McGill, M., Wiley, T., Salleh, R., Sammut, C.: Occupancy Vozel Metric Based Iterative Closest Point for Position Tracking in 3D Environments. In: 2011 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA (May 2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Otsu, N.: A Threshold Selection Method from Gray-Level Histograms. IEEE Transactions on Systems Science and Cybernetics SMC-9(1), 62–66 (1979)Google Scholar
- 10.Shapiro, L., Stockman, G.: Computer vision, ch. 3. Prentice Hall (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Weber, C., Hamann, S., Hagen, H.: Sharp Feature Detection in Point Clouds. In: IEEE International Conference on Shape Modeling and Applications, SMI (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Wiley, T.: Autonomous Victim Identification, Honours Thesis, The University of New South Wales (August 2010)Google Scholar