Computational Complexity of Traffic Hijacking under BGP and S-BGP
Harmful Internet hijacking incidents put in evidence how fragile the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) is, which is used to exchange routing information between Autonomous Systems (ASes). As proved by recent research contributions, even S-BGP, the secure variant of BGP that is being deployed, is not fully able to blunt traffic attraction attacks. Given a traffic flow between two ASes, we study how difficult it is for a malicious AS to devise a strategy for hijacking or intercepting that flow. We show that this problem marks a sharp difference between BGP and S-BGP. Namely, while it is solvable, under reasonable assumptions, in polynomial time for the type of attacks that are usually performed in BGP, it is NP-hard for S-BGP. Our study has several by-products. E.g., we solve a problem left open in the literature, stating when performing a hijacking in S-BGP is equivalent to performing an interception.
KeywordsAutonomous System Intermediate Structure Good Class Successful Attack Attack Strategy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IP hijacking (2012), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_hijacking
- 3.Gao, L., Rexford, J.: Stable internet routing without global coordination. In: Proc. SIGMETRICS (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Goldberg, S., Schapira, M., Hummon, P., Rexford, J.: How secure are secure interdomain routing protocols? In: Proc. SIGCOMM (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Huston, G.: Interconnection, peering, and settlements. In: Proc. INET (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Huston, G.: AS6447 BGP routing table analysis report (2012), http://bgp.potaroo.net/as6447/
- 8.Kent, S., Lynn, C., Seo, K.: Secure border gateway protocol (S-BGP) (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Papadimitriou, C.M.: Computational complexity (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Rekhter, Y., Li, T., Hares, S.: A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4). RFC 4271Google Scholar
- 11.Sami, R., Schapira, M., Zohar, A.: Searching for stability in interdomain routing. In: Proc. INFOCOM (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Schapira, M., Zhu, Y., Rexford, J.: Putting BGP on the right path: a case for next-hop routing. In: HotNets (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Underwood, T.: Pakistan hijacks YouTube (2008), http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/02/pakistan_hijacks_youtube_1.shtml