A New Approach for Association Rule Mining and Bi-clustering Using Formal Concept Analysis
Association rule mining and bi-clustering are data mining tasks that have become very popular in many application domains, particularly in bioinformatics. However, to our knowledge, no algorithm was introduced for performing these two tasks in one process. We propose a new approach called FIST for extracting bases of extended association rules and conceptual bi-clusters conjointly. This approach is based on the frequent closed itemsets framework and requires a unique scan of the database. It uses a new suffix tree based data structure to reduce memory usage and improve the extraction efficiency, allowing parallel processing of the tree branches. Experiments conducted to assess its applicability to very large datasets show that FIST memory requirements and execution times are in most cases equivalent to frequent closed itemsets based algorithms and lower than frequent itemsets based algorithms.
KeywordsAssociation Rules Bi-clustering Closure Lattice Frequent Closed Itemsets Suffix Tree Data Structures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agrawal, R., Srikant, R.: Fast algorithm for mining association rules in large databases. In: Proc. VLDB, pp. 487–499 (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Ceglar, A., Roddick, J.: Association mining. ACM Computing Surveys 38 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Ganter, B., Wille, R.: Formal Concept Analysis: Mathematical Foundations. Springer (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Han, J., Kamber, M., Pei, J.: Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques, 3rd edn. Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Madeira, S., Oliveira, A.: A polynomial time biclustering algorithm for finding approximate expression patterns in gene expression time series. Algorithms for Molecular Biology 4(8) (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Pasquier, N., Bastide, Y., Taouil, R., Lakhal, L.: Closed sets based discovery of small covers for association rules. Network. and Inf. Systems 3(2), 349–377 (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Shekofteh, M.: A survey of algorithms in FCIM. In: Proc. DSDE, pp. 29–33 (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Zaki, M.J.: Generating non-redundant association rules. In: Proc. SIGKDD, pp. 34–43 (2000)Google Scholar
- 19.Zaki, M.J., Hsiao, C.J.: CHARM: An efficient algorithm for closed itemset mining. In: Proc. SIAM, pp. 457–473 (2002)Google Scholar