Robot Localization Implemented with Enzymatic Numerical P Systems
Membrane computing is an interdisciplinary research field focused on new computational models, also known as P systems, inspired by the compartmental model of the cell and the membrane transport mechanisms. Numerical P systems are a type of P systems introduced by Gh. Păun in 2006 for possible applications in economics. Recently, an extension of numerical P systems, enzymatic numerical P systems, has been defined in the context of robot control. This paper presents a new approach to modeling and implementing autonomous mobile robot behaviors and proposes a new odometry module implemented with enzymatic numerical P systems for robot localization. The advantages of modeling robot behaviors with enzymatic membrane controllers and the experimental results obtained on real and simulated robots are also discussed.
Keywordsrobot membrane controller odometry localization enzymatic numerical P systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alberts, B., Johnson, A., Lewis, J., Raff, M., Roberts, K., Walter, P.: Molecular Biology of the Cell, 4th edn. Garland Science, NY (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Arsene, O., Buiu, C., Popescu, N.: Snups – a simulator for numerical membrane computing. Intern. J. of Innovative Computing, Information and Control 7(6), 3509–3522 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Garcìa-Quismondo, M., Pèrez-Jimènez, M.J.: Implementing enps by means of gpus for ai applictions. In: Proceedings of Beyond AI: Interdisciplinary Aspects of Artificial Intelligence (BAI 2011), Pilsen, Czech Republic, pp. 27–33 (December 2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Lodish, H., Berk, A., Kaiser, C.A., Krieger, M., Scott, M.P., Bretscher, A., Ploegh, H., Matsudaira, P.: Molecular Cell Biology (Lodish, Molecular Cell Biology), 6th edn. W.H. Freeman (June 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Pavel, A.B.: Membrane controllers for cognitive robots. Master thesis, Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, Politehnica University of Bucharest (February 2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Pavel, A.B., Arsene, O., Buiu, C.: Enzymatic Numerical P Systems - A New Class of Membrane Computing Systems. In: The IEEE 5th International Conference on Bio-Inspired Computing: Theory and Applications, Liverpool, UK (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Pavel, A.B., Buiu, C.: Using enzymatic numerical P systems for modeling mobile robot controllers. Natural Computing (in press), doi: 101007/s11047-011-9286-5Google Scholar
- 12.Siciliano, B., Khatib, O. (eds.): Springer Handbook of Robotics. Springer (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Siegwart, R., Nourbakhsh, I.R.: Introduction to Autonomous Mobile Robots. Bradford Company, Scituate (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Vasile, C.I., Pavel, A.B., Dumitrache, I., Păun, G.: On the Power of Enzymatic Numerical P Systems (submitted)Google Scholar