The eAccess+ Network: Enhancing the Take-Up of eAccessibility in Europe
This short paper introduces the idea, the main tool and the work of the EU-supported eAccess+ network (www.eaccessplus.eu) for fostering the uptake of eAccessibility in Europe. The rationale for the network starts from the fact that a considerable and elaborated body of knowledge, established in the eAccessibility and Assistive Technology domain, exists but is rarely implemented in mainstream design. There are many reasons for this situation and the network is working to identify and address them and to start processes to remedy the situation.
KeywordsBase Management System Apply Information Technology Accessibility Standard Rich Internet Application Relevant Stakeholder Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) of the World Wide Web Conosrtium (W3C) (April 2012), www.w3c.or/wai
- 2.IBM: Developer Guidelines (April 2012), http://www-03.ibm.com/able/guidelines
- 3.United Nations: Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (April 2012), http://www.un.org/disabilities
- 4.Goodwin, M.: Towards Automated eGovernment Monitoring, Dissertation submitted to the Faculty of Engineering and Science at Aalborg University, Denmark (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Empirica: Measuring Progress of eAccessibility in Europe (MeAC); Assessment of the Status of eAccessibility in Europe (April 2012), http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/einclusion/library/studies/meac_study/index_en.html
- 6.European Commission: EC Communication 2008 “Towards an accessible information society” (April 2012), http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2008:0804:FIN:EN:PDF
- 7.Council of the European Union: Council Conclusions on accessible information society (April 2012), http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/en/trans/107014.pdf
- 8.European Commission: EU Disability Action Plan (April 2012), http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=430&langId=en
- 9.Rogers, E.M.: Diffusion of Innovations. Free Press, New York (1983)Google Scholar