Seismometric Monitoring of Hypogeous Failures Due to Slope Deformations
Results from a seismometric monitoring of rock mass failures affecting a karstified slope are here presented. The slope, located in Central Apennines (Italy), hosts a drainage plant and is involved in gravity-induced deformations.
Starting from September 4, 2008 four accelerometric stations were installed within the tunnels of the drainage plant.
More than 1,000 events, referred to both earthquakes and hypogeous rock mass failures, were recorded.
The frequencies of occurrence of earthquakes and rock mass failures result to be generally well correlated; nevertheless, many hypogeous instabilities can be directly associated to the continuous slope deformations.
The trend of the cumulative Arias intensity derived for the hypogeous instabilities shows a time variable rate which was used as a tool for monitoring the deformational process of the slope as well as for managing the associated geological risk by the use of alert or alarm plans.
KeywordsSeismometric monitoring Rock mass spreading Hypogeous failures
Authors wish to thank ACEA-ATO2 S.p.A. for the provided data; Ing. G. Martino for the authorisation to data publishing; Dott. C. Romagnoli for the revision of the data and for the useful technical discussions.
- Boni CF, Capelli G, Petitta M (1995) Carta idrogeologica dell‘alta e media Valle del F. Velino. Elaborazione cartografica e stampa System Cart, RomeGoogle Scholar
- Ciotoli G, Di Filippo M, Nisio S, Romagnoli C (2001) La Piana di S. Vittorino: dati preliminari sugli studi geologici, strutturali, geomorfologici, geofisici e geochimici. Mem Soc Geol It 56:297–308Google Scholar
- INGV (2009) La sequenza sismica dell‘Aquilano, Aprile 2009. Web site: http://portale.ingv.it/primo-piano/archivio-primo-piano/notizie-2009/terremoto-6-aprile/copy_of_la-sequenza-sismica-dell-aquilano-aprile-2009/
- Lenti L, Martino S, Paciello A, Prestininzi A, Romeo R (2011) Insights into the ground motion records of the Honshu (Japan) earthquake of 11 March 2011. Ital J Eng Geol Environ 1:5–16Google Scholar
- Phillips WS, Pearson DC, Edwards CL, Stump BW (1997) Microseismicity induced by a controlled, mine collapse at white pine, Michigan. Int J Rock Mech Min Sci 34(314):246Google Scholar
- Szwedzicki T (2003) Rock mass behaviour prior to failure. Int J Rock Mech Min Sci 40:573–584Google Scholar