Settlement Prediction of High Speed Railway Embankments Considering the Accumulation of Wetting and Drying Cycles
The hydro-mechanical behaviour of a compacted silt clayey soil from an experimental railway embankment was investigated. Laboratorial tests were performed, in which compacted samples were subjected to some wetting and drying cycles to simulate the effect of atmospheric actions. Data from the tests allowed studying the effect, on volumetric behaviour, of cumulative deformations caused by the cycles. Also, experimental data allowed finding the constants of the constitutive model for unsaturated soils BBM. The volumetric behaviour of the experimental embankment was simulated using program Code Bright. Atmospheric actions were considered and seasonal deformations were calculated. The results can be useful to estimate maintenance needs of railway infrastructures.
Keywordssuction cycles embankment climate settlements performance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fernandes, V.: Characterization of the hydro-mechanical behaviour of railway embankment soils subjected to drying and wetting cycles. Dissertation for Integrated Master Degree in Civil Engineering. Instituto Superior Técnico – Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal (2011)Google Scholar
- Fernandes, V., Cardoso, R., Fonseca Teixeira, P.: Effect of accumulated wetting-drying cycles on the mechanical behavior of a silty-sand used to build a railway embankment. In: Proc. VII Brazilian Symposium on Unsaturated Soil, Pirenópolis, Brasil (2011)Google Scholar
- Ferreira, T.: Influence of incorporating a bituminous sub-ballast layer on the deformations of railway trackbed. Dissertation for Integrated Master Degree in Civil Engineering. Instituto Superior Técnico – Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal (2007)Google Scholar
- Romero, E.: Controlled suction techniques. In: Gehling, W.Y., Schnaid, F. (eds.) 4th National Brazilian Symposium on Unsaturated Soils (NSAT 2001), pp. 535–542. ABMS, Brazil (2001)Google Scholar
- UPC-DLT CODE_BRIGHT - User’s Guide. Dep. Ing. del Terreno, E.T.S. Ingenieros de Caminos, Canales y Puertos de Barcelona, Univ. Polit. de Cataluña, Spain (2002) Google Scholar