Multi-modal Image Registration Using Polynomial Expansion and Mutual Information
The use of polynomial expansion in image registration has previously been shown to be beneficial due to fast convergence and high accuracy. However, earlier work has only been for mono-modal image registration. In this work, it is shown how polynomial expansion and mutual information can be linked to achieve multi-modal image registration. The proposed method is evaluated using MRI data and shown to have a satisfactory accuracy while not increasing the computation time significantly.
KeywordsMutual Information Image Registration Shannon Entropy Conditional Entropy Polynomial Expansion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Collignon, A., Maes, F., Delaere, D., Vandermeulen, D., Suetens, P., Marchal, G.: Automated multimodality image registration based on information theory. In: XIVth International Conference on Information Processing in Medical Imaging, IPMI 1995, vol. 3, pp. 263–274. Kluwer Academic Publishers (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Farnebäck, G.: Polynomial expansion for orientation and motion estimation. Ph.D. thesis, Linköping University, Sweden (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Forsberg, D., Andersson, M., Knutsson, H.: Non-rigid diffeomorphic image registration of medical images using polynomial expansion (2012), Accepted at the International Conference on Image Analysis and RecognitionGoogle Scholar
- 6.Knutsson, H., Westin, C.F.: Normalized and differential convolution: Methods for interpolation and filtering of incomplete and uncertain data. In: Proceedings of Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition 1993, New York City, USA, pp. 515–523 (1993)Google Scholar
- 10.Viola, P., Wells III., W.M.: Alignment by maximization of mutual information. In: Proceedings of Fifth International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 16–23 (1995)Google Scholar