Rate-Distortion Optimized Transcoder Selection for Multimedia Transmission in Heterogeneous Networks
In this paper we propose a solution for selection of appropriate transcoding nodes in a network operating in ad-hoc mode. The heterogeneity present in today’s networked devices necessitates different quality of video for different end users. One possible solution for this heterogeneity is to transcode the video stream as per user demand. In this work, we define significant parameters to facilitate decision on selection of transcoding nodes within a wireless access network. We formulate the problem as a rate-distortion optimization to achieve conflicting objectives of high quality and minimum time of delivery to an end user. Unlike past works which have focused on transcoding to develop efficient distributed transcoders, our aim is to come up with methods for placement of these parallel transcoding nodes in a heterogeneous network, keeping in view the constraints of timely delivery of video and minimal distortion.
KeywordsPacket Loss Video Sequence Destination Node Video Stream Video Quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Chakareski, J., Apostolopoulos, J., Girod, B.: Low-complexity rate-distortion optimized video streaming. In: International Conference on Image Processing of ICIP 2004, vol. 3, pp. 2055–2058. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, F., Repantis, T., Kalogeraki, V.: Coordinated media streaming and transcoding in peer-to-peer systems. In: Proceedings of19th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, pp. 56b. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Choi, L., Ivrlac, M., Steinbach, E., Nossek, J.: Analysis of distortion due to packet loss in streaming video transmission over wireless communication links. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP 2005, vol. 1, pp. 1–189. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Gopalakrishnan, V., Bhattacharjee, B., Ramakrishnan, K., Jana, R., Srivastava, D.: Cpm: Adaptive video-on-demand with cooperative peer assists and multicast. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2009, pp. 91–99. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Noh, J., Makar, M., Girod, B.: Streaming to mobile users in a peer-to-peer network. In: Proceedings of the 5th International ICST Mobile Multimedia Communications Conference, p. 24. ICST (Institute for Computer Sciences, Social-Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering) (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Roder, M., Cardinal, J., Hamzaoui, R.: On the complexity of rate-distortion optimal streaming of packetized media. In: Proceedings of Data Compression Conference, DCC 2004, pp. 192–201. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Sklar, B.: Digital communications: fundamentals and applications. Prentice-Hall, Inc. (1988)Google Scholar
- 13.Wu, J., Huang, P., Yao, J., Chen, H.: A collaborative transcoding strategy for live broadcasting over peer-to-peer iptv networks. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (99), 1 (2010)Google Scholar