Towards a Computer Assisted Approach for Migrating Legacy Systems to SOA
Legacy system migration to Service-oriented Architectures (SOA) has been identified as the right path to the modernization of enterprise solutions needing agility to respond to changes and high levels of interoperability. However, one of the main challenges of migrating to SOA is finding an appropriate balance between migration effort and the quality of resulting service interfaces. This paper describes an approach to assist software analysts in the definition of produced services, which bases on the fact that poorly designed service interfaces may be due to bad design and implementation decisions present in the legacy system. Besides automatically detecting common design pitfalls, the approach suggests refactorings to correct them. Resulting services have been compared with those that resulted from migrating a real system by following two classic approaches.
KeywordsServices-oriented architecture web services legacy system migration direct migration indirect migration semi-automatic cobol migration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rodriguez, J.M., Crasso, M., Mateos, C., Zunino, A., Campo, M.: Bottom-up and top-down COBOL system migration to Web Services: An experience report. In: IEEE Internet Computing (2011) (to appear)Google Scholar
- 6.Beaton, J., Jeong, S.Y., Xie, Y., Jack, J., Myers, B.A.: Usability challenges for enterprise service-oriented architecture APIs. In: IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (VL/HCC), pp. 193–196 (September 2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Mateos, C., Crasso, M., Zunino, A., Campo, M.: Separation of concerns in service-oriented applications based on pervasive design patterns. In: Web Technology Track (WT) - 25th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2010), pp. 2509–2513. ACM Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Fowler, M.: Refactorings in Alphabetical Order (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Sneed, H.: Measuring Web Service interfaces. In: 12th IEEE International Symposium on Web Systems Evolution, pp. 111–115 (September 2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Alahmari, S., Zaluska, E., De Roure, D.: A service identification framework for legacy system migration into SOA. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Services Computing, pp. 614–617. IEEE Computer Society (2010)Google Scholar