Benefits of Software Renting in Cloud Business
In the new era of computing, software can be sold and delivered as a cloud service, and software renting has become a strategic tool to compete in the market. In this multi-case study, software renting was found to help the case firms to (i) differentiate themselves from competitors; (ii) increase their competitive advantage by making the software available for a larger customer group, and (iii) decrease the price of software by using centralized software delivery and maintenance.
KeywordsSoftware renting cloud computing cloud business SaaS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Varian, H.: Buying, Sharing and Renting Information Goods. The Journal of Industrial Economics 48(4), 473–488 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Huang, K.-W., Wang, M.: Firm-Level Productivity Analysis for Software as a Service Companies. In: Proceedings of the ICIS (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Porter, M.: How Competitive Forces Shape Strategy. Harvard Business Review 57(2), 137–145 (1979)Google Scholar
- 11.Porter, M.: The five competitive forces that shape strategy. Harvard Business Review 86(1), 78–93 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Hugos, M.H., Hulitzky, D.: Business in the Cloud: What Every Business Needs to Know About Cloud Computing. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Eisenhardt, K.M.: Building theories from case study research. Academy of Management Review 14(4), 532–550 (1989)Google Scholar
- 18.Yin, R.K.: Case study research: Design and methods. SAGE Publications, CA (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Miles, M.B., Huberman, A.M.: Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook. Sage Publications, California (1994)Google Scholar